2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New customer service hours 12pm - 3pm MWF only. They don’t replace broken rods anymore unless you have a warranty card. So if you won the rod it does not come with a warranty.

Too bad.. I was a true allstar user, I have several Allstar rods and really like them. Time to look for a new rod maker. Maybe time to try out a billy stix.

What is the price of a 7 foot moderate / medium action short handle sprial billystix?

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
what's a warranty card?? when i bought my 6.6 footer with a lifetime warranty, i didn't get a warranty card. it is something you fill out and hold on to? or do you have to send them a form at purchase and then receive a warranty card back from allstar? but if you love the rod, buy you another and replace the broken one down the road with the warranty card. i used to fish allstars but have gone to castaways. i fish with 2 castaway 8ft csl and allstar only makes a 2 piece 8 ft rod for casting reels.

·
http://talesofhumor.blogspot.com/
4,634 Posts
Well, don't expect great customer service with Shakespeare owning the business now. I can't stand Shakespeare.

·
Tight Lines, CaptDoug
2,022 Posts
I used to use all allstar, after breaking several, and yea they would replace them. But it got to where I was getting the third degree. I went to American Rodsmiths and with the exception of one design (that they no longer make) had trouble with the eyes, but other than that, they have been great rods. Have not broken one yet and I have been fishing them for three years. And believe me they get some abuse. I have heard some great things on the Kistlers also. I haven't had the privilage of fishing with the Billystix yet, but some of the people I fish with swear by them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Lots of options

I like the American Rodsmiths too. Their APEX Titaniums have taken all the abuse that I typically inflict on a rod and I've suffered no problems. I keep having failures with the All Star tips so they are not on the top of my list. Not arguing with Sandman but the word I heard on the All Star buyout was Academy's holding company bought them. Not sure what the outfit's corporate name is but they own many sporting goods related businesses, Shakespear may be one of them. Now I'm curious if Academy will continue to replace rods no questions asked?

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
If you're looking to change brands... consider these.

Castaway has a new line out... very nice. I think one is a $90 rod the other goes around $120... same blank and handle... better guides on the $120 stick.

Shimano's Terramar line is a superb performer for the money... $100 to $140 range.

If you want to ratchet everything up a couple notches, check out Laguna's Texas Wader, light as a hot air ballon and strong enough for 25lb jacks and 30lb bull reds.

I have used all the above with very high satisfaction. (And no... they weren't free, I paid for everything.)

EJ

·
Salt/Freshwater Angler
214 Posts
yea im another who had problems with allstar tips breaking. i also broke a whole rod in half when i went to set the hook on a running fish. i wish i had cash for a new rod right now but i dont so i stick with my 7'6" rod (that used to be 8' lol) i think id go with falcon for my next rod.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I agree completly. I am the not-so-proud owner or two Allstars. Yes, I fell for the hype. Both have lost the eye rings out of the tips and now one is loose on another quide halfway down. They are hardly used as I do not fish the bays too much and I am very anal about taking care of my gear. I have a co-owner with one that also has the exact same problem. Yeah they take them back alright as long as you do it at their convenience. You can no longer drop by any Academy and have them replace it. you MUST Go to their shop, during thier hours, answer their, questions, then they decide whether or not to replace it. NEVER AGAIN WILL ALLSTAR GET A DIME FROM ME. I started using Chaos rods for my bluewater fishing and last week sent a broken one back. They immediately sent me a replacement....no questions asked. Now thats a warranty with service.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I'm missing something

Not a fan of Shakespeare and I've got two broken allstar titanium's in the bed of my truck, but my fault. What am I missing, why shouldn't a company have the right to ask what happened? I've been in their shop when a half dozen guys brought rods in with broken tips. Why should they replace a rod because of our negligence? Defect, sure, negligence, heck no. I broke a billystix rod last year 4 times on the same wahoo because I had high test power pro on there. Who's fault was that, Billy's? I don't think so. These are not nameless company's, they absolutely have the right to know what happened to their rod. I've had them ask me no less than on 7 different rods and I appreciate them asking.- Tom

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm with Kinja. Allstar has replaced several rods NO QUESTIONS ASKED ! I have even traded up on new rods, with full credit on the broken ones. Plus nothing touches ALLSTAR Titaniums. I did hear they sold to Shakespear. That just sux.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
I bought one of thoese Ugly Lites and dude I love that rod,put it through hell and its still here. And for the price I cant beat it. Also its much more sensitive that the regular Ugly Sticks, check it out net time your at Acadmey,you might like it......................later,Dave

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I used a guide's Castaway Titanium Series and it was very nice. My friend has that Laguna topwater and it is the best rod I have ever put my hands on hands down. They are alot more than the Castaway Titanium though. Both, very nice.

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
I have one all-star and that is gonna be my only all-star I ever have. I like Castaway slx3 or xp3, Kistlers mark tylers or california seriers and Quarrow dream catchers.................JJ

·
Old ******
4,521 Posts
I had two All Star rods and both broke in half just above the grip. I paid too much money for what I got with those rods. In my opinion a bunch of junk. On the other hand, I have Ugly Stik rods that have performed flawlessly for many years (both bay and offshore rods, spinning and standup). I swear by the Ugly Stik. I guess it's one that Shakespeare got right. Neat thing about their stuff is that I've never, ever had anything Shakespeare break on me. Maybe I'm just lucky so far.

Other great rods I've had for many years are Magnuflex (used to be made in Florida but now gone), Cape Fear and Abu Garcia boat rods (the ones made in Europe). None of those rods were broomsticks. All have a very good action and stand up to the heat for everything from smoker kings to amberjacks to sailfish. I recently bought a nice (and very expensive) Penn spinning rod in 30# and the guide ceramics fell out the first time I used it. More proof that expensive is not always better.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts