2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son has acquired an Allstar Elite (#e844p-prml) rod in great shape except most of the guides are toast. Our first rod repair project was going to be replacing these guides. Called Allstar, this is a rod built before the current owners took over, so they can provide no info on size of guides, or parts.

There are 9 guides, counting the tip. Can anyone give me some guidance (pun intended) on what to buy and how to size it?

Just start over (remove the remaining guides and replace) ?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
18 Posts
dog doc,

I would suggest replacing all eyes and tip top. Go to FTL and select the eyes you like.
It will just be more practice.
FTL has a good selection and the boys there will be more than happy to help you decide on size and type.
Have fun and enjoy the experience.
C.P.

·
Registered
10,344 Posts
C.P. has the best suggestion. I have had contact w/ Allstar as recently as Nov '05 via [email protected] concerning replacement guides, and they had the info I needed. Shakespeare had already assumed control by then. I'm betting on an Elite 844P they used Fuji Hardloys...something like this BNLG12, LVLG 10,8, and 7's. Hardloys are good, strong, inexpensive popular guides. Get at least 1 extra #7(or whatever the smallest you're using), as static testing will probably show the need for at least 1 more guide than what they used. The guide feet need to be prepped w/ file, dremel, etc so the wrapping thread will climb right up the foot. Jerry

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, dug around on the internet, found some rod tip gauges im millimeters that I could read off the screen :), heated the tip and removed the tip. Cleaned it up, measured w/ reloading calipers, 2mm 1/2 inch back from the tip. My reconnin says that's a 5.

I'm off and running. Thanks for the help. I'm thinking about gearing up. See other post.

This forum is great for someone trying to start. You guys are very nice.

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts