2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Forgiven
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As many know the Alligator gar are taking over lake Livingston as well as below the dam. We are allowed one a day that measures under 48 inches. Since TPWD does not have enough sense to see what is happening may I suggest do us all a favor and regardless of what you are fishing for take one pole and bait it for gar. Take it home and feed the dog or whatever, just take it out of commission.

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
I agree they are taking over, fishing for anything besides a gar the river is impossible because of the gar. Fishing for anything in the lake successfully will soon bring the monster gar around like sharks to attack the school of whatever else you are fishing for and disrupt the school.
The combination of successive floods that result in population booms of gar and protection from TPWD have resulted in an abundance of the apex predators that live a long, long time.
They will soon have to eat each other!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I didn't know they had a limit. Lol I occasionally catch one around 30-40 " and fry it but I fish the bays as I read the rules and regs it says up until the i-10 bridge in chambers County.....so I'm assuming you can keep one over 48 if you catch it in the bay ?

·
Forgiven
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't know they had a limit. Lol I occasionally catch one around 30-40 " and fry it but I fish the bays as I read the rules and regs it says up until the i-10 bridge in chambers County.....so I'm assuming you can keep one over 48 if you catch it in the bay ?
In the area that you are talking about yes it can be over 48 inches but remember regardless of where you catch it and its size, other than Falcon International Reservoir, you still only have 24 hours to report the catch if you keep it.

·
Retired opinionated old fart
20,084 Posts
I agree they are taking over, fishing for anything besides a gar the river is impossible because of the gar. Fishing for anything in the lake successfully will soon bring the monster gar around like sharks to attack the school of whatever else you are fishing for and disrupt the school.
The combination of successive floods that result in population booms of gar and protection from TPWD have resulted in an abundance of the apex predators that live a long, long time.
They will soon have to eat each other!
I remember a few years ago the flooding was perfect timing for the gar spawn and the TP&WD suspended all alligator gar taking for awhile (In the Trinity above LL) to ensure a really good spawn.

Found this: Young alligator gar grow very quickly. They can exceed 5 inches in length after just one month, and up to 30 inches by their first winter. However, this rapid growth only lasts the first few years. It can take many, many years for fish to reach larger sizes. A six-foot alligator gar is usually between 10 and 30 years old and can weigh about 100 pounds. To become a seven-footer can take 20 to 50 years. Most individuals over 6 feet in length are females, as males rarely reach this length. The current world record alligator gar, captured in Mississippi in 2011, was 8 feet 5 inches long and weighed 327 pounds! Its age was estimated at 95 years. Although most fish won't reach that age, several large specimens recently collected in Texas have been estimated to exceed 60 years old.

Also found that after about 3 feet long, which doesn't take long per the above paragraph by TP&WD, that the only natural control of alligator gar is an alligator.

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
I caught some very nice blue cats early today, up to six pounds and they seemed to quit about 8:15 so I took a tour around the island looking for white bass. Right now there are MASSIVE schools of large threadfin shad around the island. I could see gar rolling and exploding on schools of shad or white bass just about any direction I looked at any time.
I did notice that the white bass were in schools suspended at 10' pretty consistently in water that was 22' to 25' deep.
But the GAR are everywhere, and when it gets hot nothing gets near the bank of the island without becoming a quick gar meal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts