2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a run in with a alligator in Mesquite Bay. He approached the boat and raised his head out of the water and started making a very load croaking sound. The quide near to me( 50 yds.) jumped in his boat and picked up his clients. What was causing this alligator to come so close and howl? Was he warning me to get out of his territory?

·
Registered
263 Posts
That Croaking Sound He Made. I'll Interpret It. "i Need Some Beer".

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
You were wise to give way....I'm fairly sure you you encountered a Momma Gator calling her babies.....the clicking sound.

·
Registered
939 Posts
O ****

haparks said:
its the ones u dont see u need to worry about---i believe for every one u see there are 10 u dont--we seeum in lake cherokee and lake fork and a few other lakes here in east texas-- dont jack withum cuz they will win----
Glad i didnt read that before my last trip. I was wading nipple deep the other day while watching a good size gator some ~40 yards away. I wonder if there was some more around me?!:eek:

·
Registered
564 Posts
I don't know when they hatch but when they do momma gator is very protective of her babies. You can hear the babies calling momma. They sound like some kind of bug or tree frog. No fish is worth tangling with a PO'd momma gator. Run. Run far, and run fast.

·
donbmt
667 Posts
She was protecting her nest, there's a gator farm/theme park down the road from my house, he recently had to extend the area of the barriers around the nesting gators because they were acting exactly the same way you described. If you're ever in the neighborhood, stop by and bring the kids, these are good people and run a good show, come see Big Al, the biggest gator in captivity, certified by TPWD. www.gatorcountrytx.com

1 - 20 of 21 Posts