2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday while in Matagorda my friend purchased 30 lbs of white shrimp from Rollins Bait and we took them to his cleaning table. Tols him I needed a p[aid of gloves if he needn my help. I have always broke out my hand itching and swelling after cleaning them. Standing down wind watching him dehead them I watched for 30 minutes and then about 2-3 hours we went down the the beach and looked around standing at the edge of the beach I notice 3 dead baby gafftop. My friend said look at all the fish bone along the edge about 5 feet away from the water. Well about 400 PM I ahd a major attack od welps and itching. Took 2 benedril and tooka short nap. By 10:00 pm no better and went to the Emergency Room at Bay City. Dr on duty prescribed an IV with benedril, steroids and monotor with vital sings check every 15 minutes. Mouth and hands had swollen. At 1:30 released with prescription of Predizone and told to see Allergist ASAP. Have any one ever had this kind of reaction. Or can anyone give me the name of a good allergist? Thanks

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
MrsB can't eat shellfish, shrimp, crab, lobster etc. She breaks out in whelps and then her throat starts to close. She would probably have the same reaction you did. She doesn't go to an allergist, just stays away from them.

·
Charter Member
5,936 Posts
Juan, I discovered many years ago I am alergic to fried soft shelled crabs. It happened in the fall of 1979. I wound up at the ER with the Benedryl shot, terrible itching and swollen throat. I thought I had learned my lesson, but NO! In 1989, I ate a couple my wife's cousin fixed and about 45 minutes later, the allergic reaction happened all over again.

I have learned my lesson. Never again. No problem with shrimp, though. Must be something with the state the crabs are in.

And like Backlasher said...
Oh! BTW you'd better stay away from any iodine contrast in a CAT scan or any other medical procedure.
That almost happened to me a couple of years ago. Thankfully, to technician did his job and asked the appropriate questions including "Are you allergic to iodine?"

Good luck.
Mike

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
you might ought to look at wearing an med bracelet or something, because if you shoul be involved in an accident an they did happen to give you dye to aid in a ct scan or mri, the reaction you had wouln't be anything compared to the one you would hae out of the dye.

I can eat shrimp, but not crabs, take care of your self and be careful.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Any of us can develope an allergy at any time..even to meds you take every day..it's always good to have Benadryl in the house and the wifes purse..make sure it's not expired too....you also need to be careful of salt....some add iodine..med bracelet or necklace is something to consider seriously...

·
Registered
424 Posts
Ditto!

Ditto for me.... Shrimp & crab....well I really haven't tried crab since I had my horrible reaction to boiled shrimp, 15 years ago......throat almost closed all they way, swole up like a monster in a lovely evening dress at a Christmas party...

I have baited a hook w/shrimp, but won't cook it or handle it more than that... I can eat lobster though...

Brother in law called yesterday because they were buying a bunch of good shrimp and wanted to know if I wanted to buy some.....nope...but ask your brother is he wants to buy some and cook it himself...NOT!!!!! (Greatwhite4591 DOES NOT COOK!)

And yes, I still miss it terribly 15 years later, it really does suck.....there is no substitute!!! And it does still sometimes get to me to watch people (Like hubby) eat it :frown:

·
"Wizards begin as blacksmiths"
6,256 Posts
This is gonna sound weird, but the onset of allergies later in life can be a sign of your liver being in toxic overload. There has been a lot of research on this and there are ways to detoxify your body naturally. May or may not clear up the allergy to shrimp, but is worth investigating, because this allergy may just be the start.

Can't say for sure that is what has happened to you, but you may want to do a google search on the subject.

·
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!
12,606 Posts
I carry a dry box with me on every trip or adventure I take. Whether four wheeling or off shore. Two things that stay in that box are meat tenderizer and benadryl.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
I have an alergy like this to sugar alcohal. I have to read the labels on diet foods to make sure it does not contain this product or my throat will start to close up. Mine takes a day or two of eating something for it to happen but it surely does.

What a pain.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts