2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Migration Stops Here
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to Seward, Alaska for a bachlor fishing trip next Tuesday. I am pretty excited, we are fishing for halibut and cod for two days and fishing the rivers for 3 days. When it comes to fishing the river, I do not plan on using a fly rod (never fished one). Instead I am taking a 6' telescoping rod and my chronarc. I've heard of guys talking about fishing for salmon like you would for reds, but there are so many different ways to catch a red.

Does anyone know what I should throw at the salmon and trout?? Any artificials that I should stock up on to make a productive trip?? Or maybe I should just use a fly rod after all??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Can't help ya out as i've never been myself but i can tell ya i'm jealous as hell. Alaska is next on my vacation list, been wanting to go for years. Seems like a truly amazing place.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I can tell you from Experience that if you are fishing for Sockeye Salmon down on the Kenai River or Russian River after you go to Seward you just need a med-stiff rod with 20-30lb test line. A good 8 weight Flyrod will be good also. Silver Salmon will hit different spoons as well as shiny flie patterns. I lived in Alaska for 20 plus years and know the area you are heading to quite well. Try a pink bead for big rainbow trout also.

Goodluck and enjoy your trip, it will be a trip of a lifetime I am sure. Enjoy reeling up your 18oz sinkers while you are halibut fishing also!!! HAHA

Let me know if I can provide any more info!

Ray

·
Blamewarden
159 Posts
buy some flies when you get up there...just ask around. . . if you are fishing the Russian. you have to use "russian river flies" I don't mean on a fly rod!

The tides are awesome compared to what we are used to!

For salmon I used a medium to heavy rod with 30lb test on my 5500 and 6500 ambassadeur. . . depends where you are fishing. . .if combat fishing heavy line is mo betta!

·
Registered
111 Posts
that video of fishing in Ship creek is actually right in the middle of downtown Anchorage. I agree with the other posting, buy some flies when you get there or if you are in the downtown area go see Chris at the IFLY, flyshop,he guides in Alaska.

·
Registered
61 Posts
im bout to head up to valdez in 5 days, but i go every year and for halibut we use offshore rods with hering (spelling) or big squid like jigs with heiring....for salmon i bring my 7 ft ugly stick and citica, and use spoons, vibrax, or jigs tipped with bait....but thats what we do and every year i come back with more than enough salmon and a couple of halibut ranging from 50 - 150 lbs....good luck

·
Hunting Machine!
5,831 Posts
I just got back w/ my son and now going again w/ another son this wed. till mon.! Cain't stay away!

Check out this site before you go! alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/ AOJ Field Reports!

Alsaka Troutfitters at Coopers Landing ask for Carl Coulliette he was our guide and ROCKED the Boat w/ fish!! Had all tackle if we wanted to use it! (fly rods and spinning etc. we had our own but took him up on fly as I never done that!)
Put in at the junction of the Kenai and Russian at the ferry and drifted and rowed (Carl) for 6 miles of nothing but COOL FISHING!
[email protected] 907-595-1212! Tell them the "Taylor" group sent ya! Where the Boy lost the WATCH Pointing at an EAGLE! Ha! He will remember! Gave us the best smoked salmon ever when we got back! We tiped him good! He will put ya on the fish non-stop! TAKE a camera and viedo!! A MUST!

Seward--Halibut and Ling Cod Combo is a blast!!

Alaska Northern Outfitters.com!!

Capt. Ezra , Kile (son)and Brandon the best in the buisness! Capt. Ezra put us all on to limit out on Halibut and Ling Cod 20 people and a very cool NEW Big Boat! We smacked Halibut from 50-100 lbs! And Ling Cod 56-60" Dang! Do some curls b4 U go! Ha!
Jigged w/ the "BIG UGLY LURE" a huge mr twister thang and smacked them! also cut bait!
We brought back about $800 of fish--they have it cut up 4 u b4 you get back to the dock in tag and bag style--keep ur own fish! We tiped Kyle and Brandon very well as they were the Gaff Kings and Bat Whielding Dudes! Ha! Tell them the Texan Hunting Dude "Ripping Lips" sent ya! They will remember! Ha! Had the whole boat rolling!

Rivers:
Looks like eggs are smacking them and vibrax and hooks and yarn (pink-orange neon-green neon w/ 1/2 egg weight on a carolina rig is what we used) and bait and spoons.

Be sure you get the limits and regs. on all the Rivers and "parts" of rivers as to GEAR and LIMITS! The are really strict on this and hand out MUCHO FINES! Warden may be right beside ya in plain clothes fishing and whip out that BOOK! Ha!

When you get your Lisence they will have some Reg. Books at the counter --get them all and they change all the time!--Like Sockeye is now 6 instead of 3 right now! Cool!
All the rivers have been good.

PM me and we may just CU there this next week!
Don't tell anybody but my Brother bought a boat up there...................He lives there!

SWAMPUS.................................good luck Man and have Fun!

·
the love of my life
9,585 Posts
enjoy

i was there just after the valdez spilled all that oil and we went fishin for halabut we did not get any i hope u do well we caught sheep head type fish forget the name--go through town heaD TO THE WATER FALL-- the corps built it many years ago by deverting water--back then it was leagal to snagum the water is narrow from the falls leadin to the bay very easy to snagum send me some pics seward is a beautiful place enyoy the over all picture--also enjoy the bald eagles dipping into the bay to pick up fish u can see all of the from the shore take lots of pics it will be a place u will never forget:texasflag

Mojo281 said:
I am going to Seward, Alaska for a bachlor fishing trip next Tuesday. I am pretty excited, we are fishing for halibut and cod for two days and fishing the rivers for 3 days. When it comes to fishing the river, I do not plan on using a fly rod (never fished one). Instead I am taking a 6' telescoping rod and my chronarc. I've heard of guys talking about fishing for salmon like you would for reds, but there are so many different ways to catch a red.

Does anyone know what I should throw at the salmon and trout?? Any artificials that I should stock up on to make a productive trip?? Or maybe I should just use a fly rod after all??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
The Migration Stops Here
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the helpful info guys. I am extremely excited about this trip, I leave tomorrow and it seems like I still have soooo much to do to get ready. We already have the whole thing set up with a guide / outfitter and lodge. The whole trip is costing me around $1,300..... pretty cheap from what I hear. I have a few more questions....

Alot of you said that spoons work well.....what color/kind?? Silver, gold, or copper??

I never really fish with spoons...what kind of retrieve works best??

What is vibrax?? (sounds like some sort of male enhancement drug)

Thanks again guys!!!!!!!!!

·
Hunting Machine!
5,831 Posts
Vibrax--(sounds bad yes) a silver spoon on the outside w/ a Neon in Green or Pink plastic insert inside! Can get a 4-5 pack at Wall Mart cheap!

Also get the reg. books as some rivers or sections are no treble etc.!

I am also scrambling to get my stuff for wed.!!

Get a frog tog and some rubber boots for halibut trip! hip waders w/ boots attached (I got mine for $25 there) for wadeing streams!

CAMERA AND VIDEO!!

Have fun--Trip of a lifetime--everyone needs to go at least 1 time!

May See U there! I'll be the Big Boy w/ the Green DoubleTT Hat! Ha!

swampus out!

good luck!

·
The Migration Stops Here
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Swampus!! I know that we are flying into Anchorage and then driving to Seward. I have no idea what rivers we will be fishing, but from what I hear they are all excellent this time of year.

I already have a pair of hip waders that I use for duck hunting. (should I expect to see any waterfowl while I am there??) I am more interested in taking photos of wild life than anything else. Hopefully I will see a bear or two, I know not many guys say that. (you can find some of my pictures on previous posts in the hunting forum.)

Ah yes "Vibrax spoons", not the drug...lol!!

Yall's posts have been super imformative, thanks again!!!

Joe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts