2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new air compressor but I'm not sure on which one to get. I need something that will pump my truck tires 75 to 80 psi and run some air tools if needed.

First one I'm looking at is a sears craftsman 125 psi oil lube 3 gallon compressor
on sale now for 99 bucks.

2nd one is a craftsman 150 psi 6 gallon oil-less for 159 bucks

I like oil lube B/c they are quieter and last longer, but I'm afraid 125 psi is not enough to pump my truck tires, Also does the gallon size make that much of a difference ?

Anyone have any of these compressors ? Advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Matt

·
Is it really Monday again?
1,120 Posts
The two that you have selected would be fine to air up your tires. You can even get a good tankless air comp to do that. But to run air tools you will need more volume.

·
Concrete Contractor
12,404 Posts
Tank size, get at least a 30 gal to run air tools. I have a 30 and it runs my 1/2 Impact. Plus its still portable. Think I saw Sears has a 33 gal would be good. Your not gonna run any air tools with those posted.

·
lay zay lay bon tom roo lay
467 Posts
oil lube will not be as loud as an oil-less
both will run a nailer, not an impact wrench

·
11,766 Posts
Take a look at the air tools you think you may use and see what the CFM requirement is to run them. Get a compressor that will meet or exceed your CFM requirements. 30 gal tank is good. 60 is better but of course you won't be getting those for $100.

·
Maker of laser engraved switch panels
3,766 Posts
What is your budget? I would say that of your 2 choices, neither is a good choice to run air tools of any size, and also would not be good for airing up a fully flat truck tire requiring 80 psi. What your asking for is a $1000+ compressor. If you are only needing someting marginal, that will allow you to air a tire and use a good tool while taking frequent brakes, then you can find something for less. I don't think you will find a decent compressor for less than 750 that will do what you want without too much compromise.

Have you ever seen a shop compressor? They are not big just for durability, you need volume (large tank, and high output) to run tools and pump up large/high pressure tires. There is no free lunch when buying compressors.

Some compressors turn 3600 rpm, and others turn 800 rpm. The slower rpm will usually be quieter. There are single and double stage compressors, pre-coolers, and aftercoolers and other features. Lots to think about. Quality is not always cheap (does not have to be expensive either), but buying twice to get what you need is not good for the wallet either.

See this link for lots of info and great products. http://www.eatoncompressor.com/

·
RIDE RED,HONDA!
10,209 Posts
go big or go home on this one. if you want one for air tools, you need atleast a 5hp/60 gal tank compressor. die grinders and inpacts burn up some air fast. think about if you want to sandblast something?i lost my blackmax 5hp/60 gal in IKE and miss that thing more then anything else i lost in my garage. spend the money and gift it to yourself for x mas

·
RIDE RED,HONDA!
10,209 Posts
http://www.sanborncompressors.com/?gclid=CNKM7t3Iyp4CFag65QodD20lqg

monkey, the ones hes looking at will cycle like mad with any airtool. i use a lil 3 gal now and it cycles 5 or 6 times just airing up 4 tires on my truck and most of the time their not more then 10 psi or less low. to romove 8 lugnuts with the lil one will take forever. i know it may be a money thing with him but this is no place to go cheap. thats why i use a junk 3gal now. i cant afford a $700 compressor at this time, but will buy a big one when i can

·
Registered
152 Posts
both compressors you listed will work fine for airing up your tires and running most airtools you will probably use. Impact guns do use alot of air but your typical finish nailer/stapler, angle nailer, and even framing nailer will work. grinder/sander would be very limited, and hplv painting would be tough, but probably not what you are wanting anyway. But I might try one with wheels!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hotrod, r u insane? I mean not all airtools but what kind can he be talking about if he is even considering those compressors. You don't think you could run a 16g bailer with that? comeon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
15,099 Posts
I got the home depot brand in tthe 2.5 gallon tank and it has a extenda handle and wheels.
Runs my nail guns and gets up to 125 psi
150 or so..right after IKE

·
Registered
681 Posts
air comp.

X2 on the airless. I bought one(craftsman) about 15 yrs ago. Worked pretty good for the first couplea yrs but after that I would have to buy a rebuild kit from Sears. They got more expensive every time I had to rebuild. Finally I bit the bullet and got a belt drive.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
A tiny compressor will run any of the nail guns. They only use a small amount of air when you pull the trigger. If your gonna run any other air tools (grinders, sanders, painting, spraying texture) you need at least a 25 gallon. I have a little pancake for little duty and portability and a 30 gallon craftsman for the other stuff.

·
Winter Hater
9,448 Posts
monkey, the ones hes looking at will cycle like mad with any airtool. i use a lil 3 gal now and it cycles 5 or 6 times just airing up 4 tires on my truck and most of the time their not more then 10 psi or less low. to romove 8 lugnuts with the lil one will take forever. i know it may be a money thing with him but this is no place to go cheap. thats why i use a junk 3gal now. i cant afford a $700 compressor at this time, but will buy a big one when i can
just sayin' that most folks don't run a lot of air tools at home. his primary need was airing up tires and maybe running air tools occasionally. it didn't sound to me like he was going to be running a 1/2" impact a lot. the tinkerer can run most smaller air tools on either one of those.

he needs to buy the best one he can afford suited to his planned use.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Not hi-jacking here, just wanted to also thank everyone for their input, Santa is supposed to be bringing me an air compressor for Christmas too!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I have two Craftsman compressors, including the 3gal. you are considering. The 3 gal. oil-lubed model works fine for airing up my 75psi truck tires, although from a complete flat, it will cycle at least twice. I like it because I can throw it into my truck when I head to the boat and trailer, which are dry stored on Lake Conroe ( I always have one low tire on the trailer) and I can carry it on our travel-trailer camping trips where I've used it more than once for a variety of things. It is much more useful than one of those cheapy 12v air pumps. I can also carry it around the house for odd jobs, like spray painting (use a low volume gun). It's not super light, but with the handle, the 30lbs. or so it weighs is very manageable. (note: the 3gal. WILL NOT like extension cords.)

It WILL not run an impact wrench or any other air tool that requires volume. For that, I just bought a Craftsman 33 gal. oil-less 150psi compressor. It works great. Keep in mind that most tools only need 90psi, but the volume is critical for any decent runtime.

An $1000 pro-type oil-lubed compressor lasts longer and is better for continuous duty than oil-free consumer models, but for most DIY'ers with occasional projects, oil-free works fine. I think I paid under $300 for the 33gal. I just bought. Oddly enough, it will take a heavy guage extension cord and work just fine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts