2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
A huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stepdaughter attended A&M Galveston as a sophomore up to IKE and was transferred with most all other students to College Station. She spent 12 hours with her mother getting ID badges, registered and her classes scheduled. Last week she returned home with the bad news that College Station canceled her classes and would have to take them online, except for DANCE.

That just doesn't settle well after shelling out major bucks and a contract on an apartment, when she could take classes online at home. I think the idea was good for the Big Campus to step up to the bat and ask them to come, but in reality she and her sea aggie buds have been treated like mutants. I've asked her to come on home and we will try to get the apartment deposit back, they can have the month up front for the week she stayed there.

She expects to get back in Galveston for the spring semester and will be forced to take the fall classes online. Kind of crappy deal is my take on this failed effort of counting and invitations. She's back home, but still speaks about the dead landscaping around College Station, the horticulture school. :headknock

Anybody's Alumni stroke is Welcomed, Steve

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Sounds like they couldn't get the prof's to go up to B/CS for classes. Most of the teachers when I attended were Clear Lake / Houston residents, who worked full time and commuted down to teach afternoon & evening classes. While I don't yet know the reasons behind these decisions, I am saddened to hear that any AGGIE would be told to stay home instead of absorbed back into the parent campus for a situation such as this.

·
PETA & LIBS let Obama eat dogs.
4,471 Posts
That's sad!

Being a UT Longhorn, I am sorry to hear that. A&M and UT should be premier schools and should not EVER treat their students like that. I am very sorry to hear that. Someone ought to fix that-that is shameful to all Texans. I don't care what school you are from.

·
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Being my stepdaughter, she clings to her mom with the feelings deal, but is a surviver and good fisherwomen. I don't wine to much putting her through school. She had a good job on the strand, but it got 6' and will be out longer than the school will.

This was a world rocker for many families I guess. I just thought aggies looked after aggies.

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
my son made the transfer as well and is on main campus now and going to school full time again.

the only observation that i can make is that it seemed to make a difference if the student had "on campus" housing or not.

I question why this wasn't thought thru a little better ahead of time by admin., it was bound to happen and may again.

2 points, though...........

main campus is already full and they are in fact doing the Galv campus a favor, by taking the kiddos in.

upper education, is a business, like it or not, if the numbers don't work it may not happen.

·
Higher Ed Honk
1,320 Posts
Hate to say this (96'), but there's a world of difference between "flagship university" and "flagship system." Very poor behavior but shows where the priorities are.

Alvin CC is picking up some displaced students. Galveston's volleyball team is using our gym, because even though theirs was ok they had no place to live.

·
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CO. after countless days of preparing for what your son got, we got another story and YES we did have to get an off campus apartment. There were not any on campus left. Maybe the early bird gets the worm. I work at a high profile refinery myself that would have built a temporary facility to house the employees. I'm guessing A&M either has no resourses to pull enough teachers around, or the know how to pull off a temporary engineering plan. 6 Acres of trailers might have been all it would have taken.

Way to go Alvin

·
Freelance Gynocolgist
727 Posts
Sorry to hear this, I would add also that all but 2 of my 8-10 prof's for MARA were full time workers and probably bailed on the idea of quiting there job to move to BCS. In fact one of my old profs is on the front page of the Galv Daily News this morning, his house on Beluche burned to the ground.

Tell your daughter to keep her head up, I have thought about if this scenario had happened to me down there and honestly I would've taken the semester off because I wasn't all that up to living in BCS. TAMUG will be back in business, housing off campus is likely to be hard to find so start looking now.

·
Registered
884 Posts
My son went thru the same. Was told we can get you housing, we do not want students to incure any more expenses that transfer up. He just wanted to make sure he was transfered and had all his classes. 6 hrs in line to be questioned if he was willing to sign an agreement to live where they assigned him. 2 in a hotel room, 6 to 9 in a house, cannot choose who you live with, cannot break contract if you find something else, agree to pay when the free boarding is up, maybe in aweek maybe later and no idea of cost. All choice housing was given to freshman and sophmores. The jrs and seniors that have put more money into the system were given the hindtit treatment. If you choose to withdraw and wait until spring, no refunds wer to be made. He told them no on the housing/contract offer and just wanted his schedule. Did not want a handout with a bend over option. Weds he got his schedule, same as if he was going to TAMUG, same rooms etc. Had to call and remind them it was shut down, hence the reason he was in College Station transferring. Got things figured out and started today, hopefully for his last semester.
To go back and read the first reports online from TAMUG after Ike and what ended up happening was very different.
Aggie jokes, they are true stories.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts