2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still learning to age/score deer. Please give me some feedback on these pics. My guess is 3.5 yrs and maybe 130 on the first few pics. Am i in the ball park? Also this is the first hog we have seen in 5 years...any guesses what he might weigh? Thanks to everyone for their feedback.

Attachments

·
Pirate Looking At 40
611 Posts
I think you are right on the mark , I was thinking the same or atleast high 120s and 3.5 is as good a guess as I would make . Great deer , I am a sucker for tall racks as for my guess on the hog? "Big & Stincky" ....

Thanks for the picks

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm in with flash...if it's only 8pts I don't see it getting out of the 120's and would guess probably the low 120's at that. If you're in a place with good management opportunites, I'd let him pass another couple of years. If you're in a small place where good management isn't likely then I'd have a hard time not hitting him.

The pig is a pretty good sized one. I'd guess around 250lbs. It's always hard to judge a pig if you haven't recently shot one and had it weighed. Still, I'd place in it the 250lb range +/- 50lbs. I'd get her out of there ASAP though or you'll have plenty of experience in judging pigs in no time.

TFM

·
Trap AF ...
4,992 Posts
Your right on the money on the score, he'll hit the 125" mark with little difficulty, but don't be fooled ... that buck in the first few photos has seen and passed 3.5.

Shoot him ... he's a good buck to take and probably not going to add another 15 inches next year.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Spec-Rig.006 said:
Your right on the money on the score, he'll hit the 125" mark with little difficulty, but don't be fooled ... that buck in the first few photos has seen and passed 3.5.

Shoot him ... he's a good buck to take and probably not going to add another 15 inches next year.
I agree. He will score in the mid 120's and he is old enough. Look at the belly and back. Has to be 5.5 if not 6.5...Those two ages can be difficult.

·
Registered
462 Posts
BW...I'm not real good at aging but the back doesn't seem to bow like most 5+ yr old deer I've seen.

Anyway you look at it...Spec Rig nailed it...he's not going to get SIGNIFACANTLY bigger in the next couple years. If you get the chance...probably want to take him down. Especially if you have the opportunity to put a youngster on him or take him with a bow. It'd be quite the trophy!!!

·
It ain't easy bein me.........
13,531 Posts
I agree with spec-rig and blue wave...That's a mature deer....With little difference between 3.5/4.5 yr. old age group I thinks it's probably easier to classify them as too young, let'em breed, and shooters....A buddy sent me an article on aging and it said if you haven't seen the same deer grow up year to year it's virtually impossible to distinguish a 4.5 from a 5.5 yr. old. I have to agree as I look at well over 100 bucks a year and we have the same discussions/disagreements year after year at the ranches I hunt on what age a certain buck is. Definitely not an exact science....

·
Registered
462 Posts
Davis, I change my mind with those pics. It's a 9pt with a nub growing up on the right side. I don't know if it'll make a full 10pt this year but it's young enough that it'll grow to a mature 10pt in the next year or two. If, the prevailing conditions cooperate and you get good protein during growing season you could add the extra length (especially to the final 2 points) and potentially significant mass. If you have a good enough piece of land to let him walk and be somewhat confident that he won't get shot by someone else, I'd let him go.

It has some great genes...let him "go forth and multiply"

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies T.F.M., We have right at 500 acres with light hunting pressure... The more I look at him I would love to see him walk and reproduce this year and see where he's at next year. I've seen about 10 bucks on camera since I put them out the first of September. All of the rest appear to be 2.5 and younger. We feed protein year around and take our share of does each year.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Kudos to you!!! I get tiredhead listening to guys say how much that it doesn't matter if they manage b/c they only have a section or a few hundred acres...or even less sometimes. It has to start somewhere if you ever want to reap the benefits of it. I really believe that for every younger deer you see there's a mature deer you're not seeing. You have great genes that didn't just manifest themselves. You have a trophy walking around there somewhere...you just have to hunt harder for him and be patient.

You're starting a good tradition for you and your hunting party and you will get to experience a trophy before you know it!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts