2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many months does it take for a doe to drop after she has been bred?I saw two different sets of twins that were still showing spots.The deer where I hunt usually rut around thanksgiving but these fawns with spots must have been later.I'm thinking these does got bred much later but about when would they have been bred if the fawns are still showing spots?Any ideas?

·
Registered
298 Posts
alot of our fawns have spots also but were born in June. I think once it starts to get cold and they shed that summer coat most of the spots will go away but for the most part our deer are still orange and not grey yet.

·
Iusedtofish
2,893 Posts
I have also heard that deer will gestate longer or shorter depending on the availability of nutrition and/or water. Sometimes during a wet years you will see several sets of twin fawns.

·
Farmboy
1,273 Posts
Capt. Cook,

White tail does generally give birth about 201 days after being bred. Fawns will lose their spots at 3 to 4 months of age. About 60% of fawns will breed their first year, but they usually breed a month or so later than the adult does. Don't be fooled into believing that all does get bred in the primary rut. The does that don't get bred in the first rut will cycle again about a month later. Therefore, there are actually several ruts in a single season. The later ruts are actually much more intense than the initial one, in my experience. At any rate, it is not unusual to see newborn fawns in the spring and throughout the summer. It is interesting to judge the age of the fawns and calculate back to when the does were bred. Pretty handy information.

·
We all have it coming......
8,792 Posts
Gestation is 196-201 days and fawns lose their spots in 4-5 months. It's not unusual to see spotted fawns right now even though most have lost them. I've seen spotted fawns as late as December. Many doe fawns breed their first year if they are born early. Our primary rut is in October, and many of the resulting fawns will get bred in December or January of the next year. Their fawns may not be born until July.

·
We all have it coming......
8,792 Posts
Redfishr said:
Darn, I missed it by two weeks.
:D Hopefully, you know I wasn't contradicting you. I just put out the numbers I had. I actually use 6 months a a round number when I try and figure out when fawns will be on the ground. But it is about 6.5 months depending on how many days in a month you use to calculate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts