2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There still seem to be quite a few boats going down after the storm due to dead batteries etc. Here is what I am telling my clients.

Get to your boat or find someone who can and get your gens up and running to charge batteries. Help your neighbors if you can get in contact with them, or they might know of someone who can help you too. Leaky stuffing boxes are sinking boats with dead batteries daliy. Get aboard and get her out of harms way and remove any debris that may cause more damage. If you can move out of GYB I would highly suggest it, as the process of getting all those boats back where they belong is a heavy duty process and there are always going to be residual casualties as the barge cranes get in to do thier jobs.

Find a slip........TODAY! If you are in a marina that was hit hard, find someplace else for your boat and do it quick. Harbor Walk is full, SSH has a few left they are going to assign Monday 8am first come first serve. Blue Dolphin leased all open slips to Lakewood Yacht club. Kemah Boarwalk is full, Waterford has a few, Watergate is a mess, and HYC is all but gone. Also consider where........Galveston is going to be a mess for quite sometime and if you have your boat there will there be the services you need or want to enjoy?

And lastly, stay off the water for a while. There is nobody out now but salvors, law enforcment and contractors trying to get the clean up in motion. The looky loo factor takes away from these guys doing the work that needs to be done. There are no open fuel docks that I am aware of yet, there is still a lot of fuel on the water, so I'd skip skiing with the kids. As well I would advise you avoid eating bay fish(especially bottom feeders) for a while. Flounder, reds, gaftop, and lots of mullet and shad are floating everywhere and the birds are eating them and dying too.

On the bright side, I can only imagine the Mahi schooling up under the debris offshore. Hopefully we can get some fuel and go get'em soon. I hope your boat survived and will continue to do so until the power is restored and life returns to some resemblance of normal, what ever that may be for you and your crew.

If you need help don't hesitate to ask....

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
that's a great post and along those same lines, here's a few things I did to mine today. I found a "plug and play" solar battery charger at West for $70. I went ahead and got 2. At Home Depot, I picked up 3 solar powered lights and put them in the upper rod holders. The come on at night, and turn back off during the day, automatically. $72 for all 3. That gets a little light on at the boat at night and keeps the batteries charged during the day. I am not sure how much longer I am going to be able to access my boat from the dock, because the ramp from land to the dock is pretty trashed. As long as the sun shines, the boat should have power to keep the batteries up and some light at night. It's gonna be a long time at Seabrook Shipyard until we have power, or at least it would appear that way with two boats ''in the wires".

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GOOD STUFF MONT!!!!! Try to get those panels in the sunniest spot on the boat to take advantage of the sun ALL day. Also they are more efficent if they have about a 15-25 degree tilt to the sun, rather than flat.

·
Standing on a Whale fishing for Minnows
9,467 Posts
We may not agree on everything, but I do want to express my appreciation for what you are accomplishing for the fellow Mariners that are in dire need of help. You are a vital contact and a source of information that is needed as we speak . If I was down there and had the resources, I would be doing the same ... For that we agree.

Take care and power to you ! :brew2:

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Excellent ideas and I love the solar stuff too Mont.

I always like to check out the engines good and see if they'll fire up, too. Poor things were sorely abused during Ike. You know the drill ... watch the filters and gauges like a hawk. Hopefully you'll have dry bilges and warm engines, and recharged batteries too. -sam

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
guys, just a followup. I have a small leak on one of the shafts that going to require the boat to be pulled to get to it. I was really worried about having a leak with no power. I went today and the leak is still there, but the batteries were are 12.32 volts and holding. It seems the solar chargers are doing just fine. I wish our Marina was doing better, but they are steady working on it. It looked like a beehive down there today. The big cranes are working and it's steadily getting better. I am going to find a permanent spot for those chargers when this is all over. Good offshore guys have at least two of everything and a sun powered battery charger just makes sense.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hired Gun said:
There still seem to be quite a few boats going down after the storm due to dead batteries etc. Here is what I am telling my clients.

Get to your boat or find someone who can and get your gens up and running to charge batteries. Help your neighbors if you can get in contact with them, or they might know of someone who can help you too. Leaky stuffing boxes are sinking boats with dead batteries daliy. Get aboard and get her out of harms way and remove any debris that may cause more damage. If you can move out of GYB I would highly suggest it, as the process of getting all those boats back where they belong is a heavy duty process and there are always going to be residual casualties as the barge cranes get in to do thier jobs.

Find a slip........TODAY! If you are in a marina that was hit hard, find someplace else for your boat and do it quick. Harbor Walk is full, SSH has a few left they are going to assign Monday 8am first come first serve. Blue Dolphin leased all open slips to Lakewood Yacht club. Kemah Boarwalk is full, Waterford has a few, Watergate is a mess, and HYC is all but gone. Also consider where........Galveston is going to be a mess for quite sometime and if you have your boat there will there be the services you need or want to enjoy?

And lastly, stay off the water for a while. There is nobody out now but salvors, law enforcment and contractors trying to get the clean up in motion. The looky loo factor takes away from these guys doing the work that needs to be done. There are no open fuel docks that I am aware of yet, there is still a lot of fuel on the water, so I'd skip skiing with the kids. As well I would advise you avoid eating bay fish(especially bottom feeders) for a while. Flounder, reds, gaftop, and lots of mullet and shad are floating everywhere and the birds are eating them and dying too.

On the bright side, I can only imagine the Mahi schooling up under the debris offshore. Hopefully we can get some fuel and go get'em soon. I hope your boat survived and will continue to do so until the power is restored and life returns to some resemblance of normal, what ever that may be for you and your crew.

If you need help don't hesitate to ask....
I just talked to Bob from Harborwalk marina: at 6:30P.M on 9-22-08 He stated he had 12 slips available 409-939-8029 in the 40ft range. Be careful of spreading infomation without checking accuracy.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry there capn bill, I spoke with Evan Watkins and he said he already had a waiting list. I guess we were talking about the 60-70' range. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
45 Posts
FYI for anyone interested I have two (2) 20' x 40' boat slips available for rent at acrossed from Bridge Harbor with power/water etc. Send a PM if interested.

Lock-n-Load

·
Reel Gambler
3,761 Posts
Mont said:
. Good offshore guys have at least two of everything and a sun powered battery charger just makes sense.
I have always thought about putting one of the large "matt" type on top of my T-Top to keep the batteries up in the event I lost an alternator.

I like those solar lites too. They would be nice for an over nighter.

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
FYI, both my cells put out 1 amp combined. That would take a while to charge a dead battery. The lights might be fine offshore if you put them back in the box for the ride out and then broke them out when you got there. They definately won't survive the trip out and back in the rod holders, though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts