2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Equine connoisseur
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Day 6

Today was one of the highlight days in my opinion.

We started off at breakfast discussing where we stood on our "quota", plus Bryan was getting a little antsy about shooting a good animal. He had gotten skunked the past couple of days as John Henry had been holding out for trophy quality animals. So, we loaded up and drove about an hour to an 18,000 acre ranch that was owned by the same people who owned the local mine. This was a platinum mine that employed most of the locals. Very high dollar industry. The return using cheap labor was phenomenal. Anyway, this beautiful place was loaded with wildlife. It looked like something out of National Geographic with the plains and trees. Absolutely gorgeous. It had hills and plateaus on the perimeter and they had cleared off the underbrush for about a mile on either side of a river that traversed it. There were herds of wildebeest, zebras, hartebeest, impala everywhere. This is what I had expected to see in Africa. It was the only place that I saw that implemented burning as part of their range management.

We drove around all morning oohing and aahing. We tried to stalk a bushbuck and some impalas and a red hartebeest with no luck. I banged my rifle around in the truck and Clinton suggested to re-sight it in on the range. Good thing we did, as it was shooting 4 inches to the right at 100 yds. Maybe why I missed the gemsbok? Sounds like a good excuse to me. LOL

We drove over to the river and had a picnic lunch and a siesta. Talk about relaxing and no worries. Man, what therapy! The water was shallow with a sandy bottom. I was sure wanting to import some of the sand for my arena.

We watched an eland herd that had a very nice young bull with them. He'll be a monster in about 3-4 years.

The ranch manager called John on his cell phone and asked if he could join us, so we drove to the headquarters and picked him up. Our hunting luck picked up then. John and the manager spotted a really nice red hartebeest bull out on the plains and they wanted Bryan to shoot it. They snuck up on it, and after a warning shot, lol, Bryan put him down. They were excited about this animal because of the long horns. Turns out it made the SCI book. These animals are bigger than a mule deer and smaller than an elk. They have a long, horse face and twisty horns. Kind of ugly, but a cool trophy.

After a bunch of pictures and congratulations we took off again. Clinton asked me if I wanted to take one also, and I said why not. Right then John glassed one off by itself, and it was another large bull. We eased up and I made a long shot that hit low. I was not very proud of my shooting, as I had to walk up and finish him. He also made the book. Bryan's was longer, but mine was thicker. Lots of jokes arose out of that. LOL

We loaded up and started driving to the hills to see what was coming out in the late evening. We spotted a herd of impala and picked out a nice ram. I shot over him and they took off. We tried stalking them thru the brush, but it wasn't meant to be.

We drove up on some giraffes and we were sitting there taking some pictures when Clinton said, "Bryan, pick up your .375." I started laughing because I thought they were talking about the giraffes. Nope. One of the trackers spotted a lone blue wildebeest bull. They had been trying to hunt this bull for several months, because it was old and it was definitely a trophy. Bryan and John jumped out and started stalking him. We could see him in the brush and Bryan off to the side. Bryan shot and the wildebeest bellowed and ran. They started running towards it and we unloaded and tried to catch up. The bull only ran about 50 yds and collapsed. He had made The Perfect Shot. In the middle of shoulder and it took out the heart. John Henry was laughing at Bryan because, when he shot, Bryan asked him, "Did I get him?" John said, "You gut shot him. Come on, we must follow him." Then, in the next breath, "Just kidding." LOL There was a lot of back slapping and congratulations, as this one made the Book too. Again, his was longer, but mine was thicker. LOL

When we were leaving, John and one of the trackers stopped and pointed. There in the road was a leopard track and a drag mark where he had been carrying a victim. Brrr, made me look over my shoulder.

We sat outside for a while at this place while watching the sun go down and the stars come out. The sky and stars were awesome. No lights or glare anywhere around. You could see the Milky Way distinctly, but the stars were sure different. We were thinking that "Whoo wee, it don't get no better than this!" What a fantastic day!

To answer the meat question: all meat belongs to the landowners. John sold some of it to a buyer, gave some to his help and fed us some.

Not sure if the pics are in order.
One is a herd of Red Hartebeest.
Two is a herd of Zebras
Picnicing at the river.
Bryan's Red Hartebeest.

TBC...

Pablo

Attachments

·
Equine connoisseur
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More Pics

More Pictures from Day 6

My Red Hartebeest

Momma Giraffe and baby

Bryan and his Blue Wildebeest

Leopard track and drag. The track is just left of center.

Pablo

Attachments

·
http://talesofhumor.blogspot.com/
4,634 Posts
Keep them coming! Thanks for the answer about meat. I was always curious.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
You Know?

That just enforces what I believe in a higher power/creator. Looking at those strange beasts. How about those Giraffes. Somebody took a paint brush to a horse and somebody else on earth started calling it a Zebra. Look at that long face with those ears sticking out on that Red Hartebeest that Pablo got. That took a sense of humor. lol!

I heard Africa was the birthplace of man. I don't know. I bet one day they'll discover the remains of Noah's Arc around there someplace.

Were you guys in an area where there were Warthogs, Hippos and Crocs.? (Oh, No!) Those are all great pictures. I hope one day I'll be able to at least just go over there and take some footage. Congrats. again on a great trip. Probably a once in a lifetime thing. CF? :eek:hwell:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts