2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the world of SLRs. I recently purchased a Canon XTi. I'd love to keep it (and the lenses) in the same condition as when I bought it. Any suggestions? Are there cleaning kits for lenses and cameras? Or do I need to take the equipment in to have the lenses and camera professionally cleaned?

Since I spent so much money on the equipment, I'd like to keep it looking brand new.

Any help is much appreciated...Thanks! SBB

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Have a good padded case or backpack for storing all of your equipment. You can get clear UV filters for your lens if you want and they will help protect your lens glass from any scratches or other damage. As for the camera and the sensor cleaning, some people do that themselves but when it comes time for mine to be cleaned I will be sending it in to a Nikon center for this work. Also just be careful when changing lenses and keep your camera pointing down, don't change them in outdoor, windy or dusty conditions if at all possible, get an air blaster and blow off your lens before putting it on the camera, always keep lens covers on when not in use, keep everything dry and protected, and just be careful. I also use the lens hoods whenever I'm out and about and that will give a little protection to the lens as well. I'm sure other more knowledgable ones will give you more advice and tips but these are about all I do myself. Actually I don't even use the UV filters anymore. I just try to be really careful.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I purchased a nice padded case for my equipment. That was the first thing I did. I also purchased a UV filter (which I have not yet used, but I will.

How often do you clean the sensor? Will I know when it is time? Is there an indicator on the camera?

Good advice on pointing the camera down. What type of air blaster? Is this sold in a camera store? I am assuming I would stay away from the glass/lens when air blasting? Or can I use it on the glass as well?

I do keep the lens covers on and take the lenses off after every use. And I will be extremely careful... Thanks! Excellent tips for the rookie!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts