2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My house was built in the 70's and the only return air flow from my bedroom is what escapes under the bedroom door. I was thinking about adding air-vent grills above the door. The problem is I don't want to have noises coming in or going out of my bedroom through the grill. I can't reach the attic in that part of the house to do anything there. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Article exactly addressed my problem. Unfortunately, it didn't have a solution that I hadn't considered. So, I bought a couple of register vents to put above the door. When I cut the hole I discovered the area above the door was completely sealed compartment from above the door to each side of it. I cut a peice of plywood that went top-to-bottom and extended to about a foot to one side frame and was flush on the other side. That way the air has to snake through some but the sound and light doesn't have a straight shot from the hallway into the bedroom. I can't really notice a difference in sound with the door open or closed.

·
Native Texan
10,978 Posts
What you ran into was the door header, that wall is probably load bearing and thus the solid infill above the door. Might never be an issue but worth investigating to prevent future structural issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts