2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Hunting the Sith...
6,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<accidentally posted this in another thread>

I'm thinking about making these around Christmas/New Years but can't find a good recipe.

Seems I need large shrimp, bacon, jalaps and Monterey Jack(cubed).

De vein and butterfly shrimp, place cheese and quartered slice of jalapeño in shrimp then wrap with with bacon and then on soaked skewer. Seems to be the gist of it.

But an suggestion on type of bacon, shrimp count #/lb and way to cook it?

Some recipes say grill, others say broiler, others say frying pay.

Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I would use a thin versus a thick cut, and fry. I used to grill them, but my wife prefers the crispier bacon and all of it cooked. Wrap them good then deep fry. I'd try a few the day before and if it's not what your looking for then grill...with mesquite of course.

Sounds good, I might do this as well!:biggrin:

·
SECEDE
702 Posts
I usually grill them. Sometimes, we replace the monterey jack with cream cheese, chives, and ginger. It is usually a good idea not to make the whole batch with jalapeno. Make a few with pineapple, so there is an alternative for those who can't take the jalapeno heat. A tip for grilling; use two skewers, so that they don't spin on the skewer when you try to turn them.

Attachments

·
DOINK
10,027 Posts
I precook the bacon a little so the bacon and the shrimp get done together.
Good advice... i would also recomend not butterflying the shrimp. just devien. they stay more succulent. Dont over cook.

accoutrements are your choice. Great with dirty rice and grilled veg. but cook the veg seperatly.

No rules here other that do not over cook.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
This sliced Proscuitto works really well as a substitute for bacon

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
on the size - U12 are the best size to use (IMHO) - anything smaller is hard to wrap and get everything to stay together.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
If you grill them, I second the "cook the bacon a little first" suggestion. This is a great trick, it will help with flame up and your shrimp and bacon will be done at the same time. If you just wrap them with raw bacon, by the time the bacon is cooked the shrimp are usually a bid overdone.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Marinate in Italian dressing and use the dressing as a mop sauce. Everything won't dry out and give the bacon more time to get ready.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
This is how I do them. Pappasitos recipe

Ingredients

Directions

1. Clean and devein shrimp, leaving the last section and tails intact.
  2. With a paring knife, carefully slice each shrimp from tail to tip.
  3. Wash and seed jalapeno, and cut into a pieces about 1/2-inch X 1/2-inch squares.
  4. Cut slice of cheese into 12 small pieces.
  5. Stuff one small piece of cheese and one small piece of jalapeno into each shrimp.
  6. Wrap a half slice of bacon around each shrimp.
  7. Place shrimp on a wet skewer.
  8. Repeat this process until all shrimp have been placed on skewers.
  9. Place in refrigerator for a few minutes while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
  10. Mix the paparika, cayenne pepper and black pepper together.
  11. In a small skillet, heat butter and white wine until butter is completely melted.
  12. Prepare grill.
  13. Note - Grill on low flame.
  14. Remove shrimp from fridge and brush completely with melted butter.
  15. Sprinkle with seasonings.
  16. Grill on each side until shrimp are done.

Attachments

·
I'm a millionaire in a .02 opinion world
2,569 Posts
My advise ya'll to call in an expert for taste tasting. If I am unavailable ya'll call in my equvialent 24Buds. We can tell you if you are doing it right. B&P

·
Say "when"
7,267 Posts
Omit the bacon

I have mistakenly ordered them in restaurants in TX and LA. Each time I wondered why anyone thought it was a good idea to pork up a perfectly delicious shrimp.

Skewer the shrimps, season lightly and put em on the grill w/o bacon.

I would serve grilled or pan grilled jalepenos and onions on the side.

·
Angler
252 Posts
I use cream cheese and grill them in a fish grilling basket. I can grill 30-40 of them at once. I'm getting hungry!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thin bacon, slice of jalapano, cream cheese. You can use a toothpick to hold them together, or just tuck the ends. I would recomend deep frying them at about 300 degrees for about 4 minutes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts