2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brenda has informed me it is time to get Photoshop. We just got back from a trip to Moab and have several hundred digital pic to sort, crop, etc.

I am confused by the availability of several versions of Photoshop. Elements 5.0, CS2, CS3. I need some advice on what exactly we need.

All she wants to do is manipulate and correct lighting, etc on our home photos. I don't think (?) she intends to do any fake photo doctoring, etc, but who can be sure? Why would she NEED to? She can look at undoctored pics of me any time, and what more could she want? But I digress.

I do not need cad/cam or really exotic stuff, unless you guys/gals can tell me why the extra money is a good value. It looks like Elements 5.0 is what I need, but am open to advice, as I know NOTHING about this type of software.

Also, any advice on websites or books to help learn how to use it would be very welcome.

Help?

Steve

·
POC chunker
9,209 Posts
All you need is Elements for what you want to do. CS (Creative Suite) adds tools for building custom graphics that may or may not include photos which are intended for WEBsite building. It also adds Bridge, which is an application that can parse through a large amount of images, do RAW conversions and batch operations. It also has a database to tag photos with keywords. It is geared towards folks with thousands of images to keep track of, and/or processing a digital workflow with hundres of images at a time. CS3 is the latest and greatest that replaces bridge with a more powerful application called Lightroom.

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
For what she wants to do, you can do most if not all with free programs. Why not let her give them a try...it's free....Photoshop is big bucks and most of the people I know that have it...don't:
1. use it
2. Know how to use it

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
If you have access to a university thru' a student, staff member, or facukty member.....check the price as it may be much lower for the educational issue.

·
Ankle Deep Custom Rods
3,468 Posts
I use Photoshop Elements and it handles everything I need it for........nice little program, it does a lot better job of correcting photos than the free programs out there that I have tried, plus you get the ability to photoshop pics, and embarass friends lol

·
Registered
339 Posts
fishinfella said:
If you have access to a university thru' a student, staff member, or facukty member.....check the price as it may be much lower for the educational issue.
That's good advice.

Or you could take a blank cd into class/computer lab and burn it, but I don't know anything about doing that...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I teach computer graphics seminars and have many students who have purchased any one of the various "full" Photoshop variations. They are expensive and the learning curve is pretty steep. most of the tools, filters, features would never be used by anyone short of a graphic artist or photographer. Photoshop Elements is the way to go for your purposes. Earlier verisions also come free with many scanners. To order online, give Amazon.com a try.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, All. Found Photoshop Elements for $36 delivered, will give that a try.

http://www.viosoftware.com/Photoshop+Elements+5.0+PG/Photoshop+Elements+5.0+OEM.html

Figure I can't hurt myself much at that price. As for the free stuff: I've been married for nearly 32 years. Photoshop. She said Photoshop. I do not want to explain to her why the free stuff is just as good. I don't want to explain that the term "photoshop" is generic, like "Kleenex". I don't want to be responsible for downloading and installing it on HER computer (she is very territorial. Don't ask me to renumerate the reasons she is justified in keeping me away from her computer. It is too painful to recount. Suffice it to say I am not a "computer Geek") I don't want to have to figure out how the free stuff works. I don't want to be responsible for mistakes made on free stuff. By finding PHOTOSHOP and bringing it home, I have again cheated the marital grim reaper, and can look forward to a continued blissful cohabitation of the nuptial couch.

Some of you out there understand the wisdom of this course. To the others: thank you for your input. I know you mean well. Likely your significant other is a more patient user of unsolicited technology and software than mine. $36 is BETTER than free. It is the successful completion of the charge laid upon me by my lifelong mate.

Whew.

Again, thanks for the advice, everyone.

Steve

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
Good luck...with everything LOL

You should be fine with the selection...and a heck of a lot better than the $650+ for Photoshop...plus the hours learning and the $$$ Books.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts