2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I arranged a trip for 4 friends to fish the Bighorn River out of Fort Smith, Montana for 3 days. I set them up with my good friend and guide, Jim Wilkins, of Otter Creek Outfitters. We arrived on Thursday and fished the following 3 days. If you have not done a trip like this you owe it to yourself to do it at least once. The other 4 anglers were newbies and had never picked up a flyrod. We used 5 weights and threw size 16-20 flies, mostly sowbugs and midges. We also caught a few on a fly that looked like a little worm but I don't recall it's name. Most fish were caught wading but we also caught plenty while floating the river. We averaged 60 fish per day with Saturday being top day. Largest fish were in the 22-24 inch range ( we did not weigh any). We caught both rainbows and browns with about even numbers of each. If someone can tell me how to resize photo's I'll post some pics.

·
www.saltgrassretrievers.c om
817 Posts
You were supposed to be sending me those pics to resize for you.....I am still waiting.!!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to Aggiefisher I have pics of the Montana trip

Here's some of the pics, more to come.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
The worm bait was more than likely a San Juan worm a favorite on the Big Horn...and I agree what a great place to fish. Just a question did you have to buy a Tribal licence to fish some of the river?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Warlock, You do not need a tribal license. Just a non resident fishing license. You can buy a 2 day, or 4 a day for under $50. That was what the worm was called, it worked well but did not hold up to the abuse from the fish.

·
www.saltgrassretrievers.c om
817 Posts
WOW! What great pictures. You must have an awesome camera !! Bet you paid a fortune for that kind of quality !

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I picked up the camera from a guy that didn't know what he was letting go. He gave me a great deal! Bought a photo printer from him also that works great. Can't wait to take it offshore for some of those pics. Thanks Bro.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
There used to be a big issue with some of the river and the local Crow tribe and they were going to institute a tribal licence to fish the river...did not think it happend but was caught up in the contriversey when one day will knee deep in the river just below the Yellow Tail dam a guy apeared from nowhere on the bank and said he was a reporter from the Billings newspaper and wondered if I would answer a few questions about the issue....should of kept my mouth shut...my comment that I was from Texas and drove 2000 miles to get there and if I had, I would spend ten bucks more to fish as a non resident, I guess I would not mind taking into consideration it minimal additional cost considering all the money I had spent to get there.

The Next day Front Page Billings Gazette (Largest Publication in Montana) with my picture fishing the river "Sportsman Supports Crow Tribal Licence"

I almost got thrown out of Montana and had a bunch of explaining to do at the Four Aces in Hardin, my favorite watering establishment....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts