2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my issue guys. I have a Ford F150 4X4 and every time I pull my boat or travel trailer the truck cannot handle the weight. It pull the 2 just fine, but the arse end of the truck just sits too low to the ground and was wondering what I can add to fix this problem. I was told to add another leaf spring but will this make my ride stiffer. What would you guys suggest and how much do you think it will cost.
I am tired of getting flashed by oncoming motorist at night who think I am running my high beams.
Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have used add a leafs in the past, but just to raise the ride height an inch or two. It did not change the ride quality at all.
Have you considered air shocks? You can just increase the air pressure to level the truck while loaded.
Hope this helps.

·
archTech
8,710 Posts
Add a spacer block like the SuperDutys have...2" for the F250's and 4" for the F350's. It will not affect the ride and cheap to do...it goes between the axle and the spring pack. You might need longer U-bolts though.

·
Starboard List
1,882 Posts
On a leaf spring rear end I used roadmaster active suspension. It's adjustable but, it limits the amount of flex in the rear off road. If you don't plan on twisting up your drivetrain offroad it helps. It also helps with body roll and wheel hop.
http://www.activesuspension.com/
--Hop

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hop, how much does that system run? That might be something I am interested in, I don't want to install blocks and have the truck run 2" higher when I am not towing.

For the guy that placed the tag saying buy a Chevy, Ford Sucks. I had a Z-71 a little over a year ago and loved it but the towing abitlities sucked. I would have to get it out of OD in order to pull anything, something as small as an overpass would cause it to downshift constantly. The A/C is colder on the chevy though

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Get air bags then...it's only $$$.

You must have an A/C in the Ford that needs some work.
A/C is fine, I just don't think that the A/C's in Fords work very well. I have owned 3 Chevy's and there units cool alot quicker and keep the temp more consistent than any ford I have owned or been in. But Ford has better torque and power.

·
archTech
8,710 Posts
A/C is fine, I just don't think that the A/C's in Fords work very well. I have owned 3 Chevy's and there units cool alot quicker and keep the temp more consistent than any ford I have owned or been in. But Ford has better torque and power.
All mine will freeze you out...but then again, they are all diesels. My wife had Chevy Suburbans befoe the Excursion and they were horrible...never cold, always having problems, etc.

·
All Dude ever wanted was his rug back...
60 Posts
Another nod for the Firestone air bags. They are adjustable. I keep them at 5 Lbs with the bed empty and knock them up to 15-20 with the boat hooked up and my rig stays level. I run an F-150 and my boat is about 5000 Lbs. fueled up.

Cool trick- run the air lines through the license plate bracket. It looks real clean and easy to access. You can also add an onboard compressor and adjust it on-the-fly from inside the truck if you feel the need to throw some more money at it.

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
what does that setup run without the compressor? I looked into the active suspension and it runs about $390 installed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts