2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lease is in Real Cnty, just came back from a 4 day hunt. We are not seeing anything at feeders (to include pigs). The acorn crop this year is one of if not he best I have ever seen. We have had this ranch leased for 67 years (father to son to grandchildren) and this is the toughest we have ever seen it. Animals are there, we can go back into the thick stuff (areas with oaks) and jump animals every trip. Pig sign is incredible every where on the ranch.We have seen some nice deer crossing clearings, just not intested in the corn. Maybe this rain will take care of the acorns and then it will be on!!!!! Any one else having the same results???

·
Registered
7 Posts
yes lots of acorns on the ground and no good pattern for the deer this year lots of hogs but deer scarce figured its a combination of both

·
Registered
8,401 Posts
save your corn and use it/hunt later in the season. another side benefit is the deer should be fatter after the acorns are eaten.

·
"TEXAS BORN AND TEXAS PROUD"
157 Posts
had the same problem. try alfalfa and using calls. were in the same area. Corn will work after the next couple of freezes. the acorns starting dropping 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
707 Posts
same here in bandera,,nothing no axis - whitetail either coming to the feeders,,, the alfalfa we put out never get's touched ...we used to have lots of axis ,but!!!they have been trapping -em HARD!!!! and have really reduced -em in BIG herds...selling em,,aloto of small places like 10-30 acres places are trapping and that hurts,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Same here is West Texas (Callahan Co.). We've jumped lots of deer walking the property but nothing is coming to corn! No signs of any rut activity yet either.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Not to overstate the obvious, but get out of your stand overlooking the feeder and find a ridge covered in acorns, set up a ground blind or tripod, and get after 'em. A little rattling, grunting, and scent use might help too.

·
451 Posts
I am in Robertson County and we are covered up with acorns.deer not going to corn i have had my best luck climbilg out of the stand and doing some ground hunting

·
WestTexasKid
477 Posts
Hunting in llano co. is the pits right now! Deer not coming to corn feeders. Have pics of hogs and one buck in the middle of the night. Saw my first deer while rifle hunting this friday, moving down a trail. Did not go to corn. Saw him a total of 4 seconds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts