2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking around the place the other day up here in Montague County, and the acorn's are a 1/2" deep under the trees and still falling, there are a bunch still green on the tree's. Looks like it will be a real tough year on the feeder hunters. I still have some deer and hogs eating a little corn, but not much. Also, the winter wheat is just now shooting up, nice and tender. This is gonna be my kind of year, where you got to get out and really hunt for them. Setting in a stand on a feeder will get you a big fat zero this year, at least until Thanksgiving. I'm thinking about a pop-up portable blind I can move around on the trail intersections right with the wind. I'm getting to old to climb them red-oaks and hunt Indian style. How are the acorns and winter grass crops in other parts of the state? It is the most acorn's up here that I have ever seen!

·
100% BS
7,120 Posts
Hey Slug, we have em just like you do...all of our oaks run along the creek bottoms. We had two guys hunting the creeks and they saw several 8ptrs and one guy saw a really good buck but could get him within bow range. My stand is off the creek bottom about 200 yds. My Dad and son hunted it for hogs and only saw 3 does and a 5 pt. All the deer where in the creeks eating that acorn candy.

·
"We're gonna need a bigger boat!"
3,484 Posts
Tons! My problem is my property is covered with live oaks. The deer dont have to take 2 steps to eat their fill.
But with all the rain we have had recently, they may start to sour up pretty quick.

·
Registered
478 Posts
My place is in edwards county south of rocksprings and the acorns are everywhere, forget the feeders for sure for a while.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
I hunt in Colorado County near the river. Went out early Saturday morning and parked under a pretty good size live oak to scout a clearing in the next pasture. Sitting in my truck just before daylight sounded like it was hailing on the outside of my truck. It was hailing alright! Acorns that is.....Went to check my feeder and it looks like the deer and the pigs are coming by but not cleaning all of it on each feeding. Hopefully they will sour before opening day!

Good Luck
SWA28

·
Registered
298 Posts
Thank God we have mostly mesquite trees in Shackelford County...what few oaks we have are dropping acorns like crazy but most of them are gone as soon as they hit the ground...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Even with the few oaks that we have deer would not hit the feeders consistently last weekend...started to pick up beofre this last cold front but I guess we will fix that with 92 degrees today.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I don't even have a feeder set up where I hunt. Hunted the oak flats and saw deer every hunt. ONly took one so far, had shots 4 of the 5 hunts I've had so far. The feeder made me lazy and I didn't find the deer. Doin a little better this year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts