2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Penn 113 4/0 Senator. Would I gain anything by adding an Accurate frame to this reel?

What about a Penn 500 Jigmaster?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Frames

I don't have any of my reels converted, but from what I gather it centers the spool while increasing reel stregnth. They are suppossed to help you fight a big fish easier because the spool is centered, therefore decreasing torque. You could also drop it accidentally and have little or no damage. I am not sure how much advantage it really gives you while fighting a fish unless its big. I haven't gone that route because I use a heavier set up for the big ones. They are prettier.

Brandon

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I have a couple of 113HLWs with Accurate frames. Don't know about any true fish-fighting advantage but I think they they look and feel neat, plus they are cool. I converted from the graphite frames which I don't like no matter what the brand.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Graphite

I like graphite because its lighter. I don't like to hold something like a 50tsw for extended periods. Although, they are more durable.

Brandon

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
WilliamH said:
I have a Penn 113 4/0 Senator. Would I gain anything by adding an Accurate frame to this reel?

What about a Penn 500 Jigmaster?
JMHO, but I don't think you gain anything. 4/0 Senators and Jigmaster 500s have 30# class drags. No matter how much you increase the strength of the side plate or frame, you are still stuck with a 30# class drag and that leaves you stuck with a 30# class reel.
Like Valkyrie said, I hate graphite frames, although I have a couple GS555 and a GS525 that have given me zero frame problems so far.
If you are worried about bearing alignment in the older Penns, that can be addressed by some careful fitting of the existing Penn frame posts and the reel stand(frame).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts