2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
http://talesofhumor.blogspot.com/
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A veteran of three wars who was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor is now facing an unlikely enemy - his neighbors.
Col. Van T. Barfoot, 90, has raised the Stars and Stripes every day at sunrise and lowered them every day at sunset since he served in the U.S. Army. But on Tuesday he received a letter from the law firm that represents his homeowners' association, ordering him to remove the flagpole from his Richmond, Va. yard by 5 p.m. on Friday or face "legal action."
http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/us/2009/12/03/veteran-ordered-stop-flying-flag
The homoeowners' association at Sussex Square community told Barfoot that the freestanding, 21-foot flagpole that he put up in September violates the neighborhood's aesthetic guidelines.
Barfoot had sought permission to install the pole shortly after he moved into the community - a complex of townhouses where the grounds are community property - last June. The board denied his request in July.
But Barfoot and his family say there is no provision in Sussex Square's rules that forbids erecting flagpoles. And for Barfoot, that's a cause worth fighting for.

"There's never been a day in my life or a place I've lived in my life that you couldn't fly the American flag," Barfoot said in an interview with the Richmond Times-Dispatch.
In a statement released last night, the association sought to defend its position against a growing chorus of outrage.
"This is not about the American flag. This is about a flagpole," reads the statement from the association, which insists that Barfoot directly violated its board's July ruling.
"Col. Barfoot is free to display the American flag in conformity with the neighborhood rules and restrictions. We are hopeful that Col. Barfoot will comply."
The statement reminded the public that many American flags hang from homes in the Sussex Square community, and that the board members object only to Barfoot's freestanding flagpole.
But Barfoot says he has always flown the flag from a height: "Where I've been, fighting wars ... military installations, parades, everything else, the flag is vertical. And I've done it that way since I was in the Army," Barfoot told the paper.
Barfoot is one of the country's last living World War II veterans who received the Medal of Honor. He also served in the Korean War and the Vietnam War and earned a Purple Heart. In WWII, Barfoot showed his mettle in Carano, Italy, where he single-handedly destroyed a set of German machine gun nests, killed eight enemy soldiers, took 17 prisoners and stared down a tank before destroying it and killing its crew - all in a single day. Exhausted by his herculean efforts, he still managed to move two of his wounded men 1,700 yards to safety.
"Sgt. Barfoot's extraordinary heroism, demonstration of magnificent valor, and aggressive determination in the face of pointblank fire are a perpetual inspiration to his fellow soldiers," reads the official citation for his Medal of Honor.
Barfoot's resolve is now once again being tested.
"I've flown the flag at my home as long as I can remember," said Barfoot, who lived in rural Amelia County before moving to suburban Richmond. "This is the first time in the last 36 years that I've been unable to put my flag up on the same pole, the same staff and take it down when it's time to come down.
"I don't have any qualms with [the board's] authority, but the thing about it is that I cannot get enough conversation out of them where we can try to work out a solution," Barfoot said.
Neighbors largely have expressed their support, but he realizes that ultimately it's up to the nine-member association board whether to grant an exception to the rules.
"Emotional torture is what they've done to my father," said his daughter, Margaret Nicholls. "He has lost sleep, he worries about it constantly. He just doesn't understand. He thinks that if it's on his property they can't tell him what to do."

·
Bull Frog hunter
9,276 Posts
Fly that flag every day and F the HOA! I would like to shove the flag pole up the 9 members who only have the right to question him because he faught for them to have the right to speak up. What the heii is wrong with them. Col. Barfoot, you sir are welcome to fly that flag as you defended it. as many have done in the past and do today. Fly the flag. Take pride and stand up for what you have given to us. I am sick.

EDIT: Run for board on the HOA. Have them then tell you not to fly our flag. Now I am getting pizzed. WOW my blood pressure just shot up!

To hell with the HOA file a lean. Take it to court. screw them!

·
Don't touch my junk, bro!
5,844 Posts
Sorry, I just can't get my panties in a knot about it. You buy or rent a house in a neighborhood that already has HOA standards in place. You don't bother educating yourself on the HOA standards. You violate the HOA standards. Then, you complain?
The HOA didn't prevent him from flying the flag, and has stated they have standards in place for doing so. He's being a stubborn ******* and not attempting to work within the rules WHICH HE AGREED TO WHEN HE BOUGHT THE ******* HOUSE! Last I checked, you move into an HOA you are given a book of the HOA guidelines before closing.
Here's a nominal idea: get on the HOA board, change the standards, put up your flagpole. Don't like being told what to do? Then don't move into a mother ******* HOA 'hood.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Sorry, I just can't get my panties in a knot about it. You buy or rent a house in a neighborhood that already has HOA standards in place. You don't bother educating yourself on the HOA standards. You violate the HOA standards. Then, you complain?
The HOA didn't prevent him from flying the flag, and has stated they have standards in place for doing so. He's being a stubborn ******* and not attempting to work within the rules WHICH HE AGREED TO WHEN HE BOUGHT THE ******* HOUSE! Last I checked, you move into an HOA you are given a book of the HOA guidelines before closing.
Here's a nominal idea: get on the HOA board, change the standards, put up your flagpole. Don't like being told what to do? Then don't move into a mother ******* HOA 'hood.
Wow! HOA board member or just a Jerk?

·
5,844 Posts
How many of ya'll would defend the guy if he wanted to erect a giant penis to hang the flag on?

·
RIDE RED,HONDA!
10,208 Posts
the rules are the rules. even i think is BS, but i work for a HOA and have to do some things i don't like. sad to say the least.

·
Winter Hater
9,448 Posts
with all due respect to Mr. Barfoot, he is in the wrong on this. like jamisjockey said, he is allowed to fly the flag; he is not allowed to have a flag pole.

and even if he were to be elected to the HOA board of directors, he could not change the HOA by-laws on his own accord. a change in the by-laws would have to be voted on by the board members.

the common area of a HOA is owned by everyone who owns property there. officers are elected to represent the homeowners. it has to be this way because anything that is done in the common areas has the potential to negatively affect the property value of each property owner.

i commend Mr. Barfoot for his service and am thankful for him. but he has to also respect the agreements he made when he purchased the property. the by-laws he agreed to abide by should be explained to him by someone he trusts.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
**** Creeps. Screw your pissant little fine print contract. You're spitting in the face of a Congressional Medal of Honor winner (google it). That HOA and it's lawyers are the slimiest of the slimy and I hope they get whats coming to them. HOAs are out of control and the victims are always the elderly.

Reactions: Pablo

·
My shivagitter's broke
526 Posts
"Col. Van T. Barfoot, 90, has raised the Stars and Stripes every day at sunrise and lowered them every day at sunset since he served in the U.S. Army."

Let him fly his flag until he passes. They guy is 90. I think even an HOA like that could stand it for a few years.

·
Native Texan
10,976 Posts
It is unfortunate that this great symbol of America and its fighting men has fallen into modern society and its bylaws. I am afraid that he will lose his fight in the legal system unless his neighbors pick up his cause and make the HOA change its rules. I truly don't think that the HOA is intending to disrespect him (could be wrong), just that they are required to uphold he bylaws no matter how distinquished/who he might be. It sux that such a great symbol of who we are as a nation, both the flag and the Col, are victims of our now progressive society.

·
Winter Hater
9,448 Posts
"Col. Van T. Barfoot, 90, has raised the Stars and Stripes every day at sunrise and lowered them every day at sunset since he served in the U.S. Army."

Let him fly his flag until he passes. They guy is 90. I think even an HOA like that could stand it for a few years.
Mr. Barfoot broke the rules, knowingly, plain and simple. and the HOA board is supposed to enforce the rule that are in place.

but, if i were on the HOA board, i'd call a meeting of the homeowners and discuss the issue in context with Mr. Barfoot's service to the country. maybe enforement could be delayed...until Mr. Barfoot's passing.

·
5,844 Posts
**** Creeps. Screw your pissant little fine print contract. You're spitting in the face of a Congressional Medal of Honor winner (google it). That HOA and it's lawyers are the slimiest of the slimy and I hope they get whats coming to them. HOAs are out of control and the victims are always the elderly.
Someone who doesn't bother to read a contract they sign isn't a victim. Elderly or not. Hero or not. If you're too old to understand a contract, maybe you oughta be in the nursing home. Life is a harsh mistress, and she ain't fair.
Actually, I retract that. The HOA is being more than fair here. They are living up to their end of a contract.
No respect my ***. You wouldn't be sticking up for him if he erected a 100' Buddah statue in his yard, now would you?

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I truly don't think that the HOA is intending to disrespect him (could be wrong),
While I wouldn't doubt it for a second (that they intend to cause him greif because of who he is) - probably not. They just don't give a rats behind. Probably a bunch of smug baby boomers worried about their property values and "precedent" instead of realizing they'd be speaking German if THEY had had to do what Col. Barfoot did FOR them.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.