2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is someone out there in 2cool land that can get me going in the right direction. I have 5 acres in West Columbia which I purchased with intent to build a house when my job transferred me South. Things havent went as planned and we bought a house in Manvel. Now I need to sell the property.

Question 1: Would it be easier just to sell through a realator?

Question 2: What is the process to sell property? Where do I start?

Here are a few pics of the property. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Short Answer....

Prolly easier to sell through a real estate company, but it will cost you roughly 6% of the sales price...which can be a tidy sum...plus closing costs.

Where do you start...to sell it on your own...Set a price, advertise, find a buyer, get an ernest money contract signed and go to a title company, and they will handle all the paperwork. They cannot advise you on any legal matters, so if you have never sold a property yourself before...you would prolly want a RE Lawyer to represent you...still usually a lot cheaper than the 6% sales commission. There are quite a few other items that you may, or may not be familiar with...title insurance, surveys, etc. Your lawyer could help you on this.

Hope this helps
Later
R3F

Reactions: big john o

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Easier to use RE agent but they get paid for their work.

To sell yourself go to Texas Real Estate Commission (just Google Trec) go to forms section you are looking (for starters) for 9-7 unimproved property and start reading.

It's not that hard really but if you have never done it yourself get good RE Lawyer to help.

It's a good idea to read the contract form at TREC no matter what you do will educate you a lot. You not being a RE agent don't have to use that form but most it's a good starting place.

Post up or PM for other ????

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
if you're a novice at selling real estate, it's probably worth it from a legal and a headache standpoint to list it through a realtor. as r3f said, it will cost you 6% off of the top, but it's usually worth it.

·
Winter Hater
9,448 Posts
it's very easy to sell yourself. put ads out there, let a title company do the paperwork for a simple fee, usually a couple hundred bucks. done it several times.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
You can download the real estate forms from the trec site and like moneyman said, a title company can help with the paper work for a fee.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
The question is.. Do you need to sell it, or can you wait for the economy to recover. If you can wait, it very well may be worth the wait for a little additonal money

·
Custom User Title space for rent
5,212 Posts
The first rule if you want to sell it yourself, advertise the price. You never know, you could have a buyer looking at this thread or one like it in S&S.

·
Banned
847 Posts
The six percent usually consists of a 3% listing fee and a 3% sellers fee. There are many companies that will list it for around $300. This gets it on MLS and saves the first 3%. If the property is priced right (have the listing company runs comparables to help you determine price). As usual, if you are higher then comps it will take longer. Likewise, if less, it may move faster.

·
Equine connoisseur
2,264 Posts
Being a realtor myself, I would say list it with someone. This saves you the drive from your home to meet a prospective buyer. Also, a realtor tries to prequalify a buyer so it's not a wasted trip if they can't get financing. That saves a LOT of headaches. Really, it's up to you to decide your approach that gives you the most dollars with the least hassles.

The six percent usually consists of a 3% listing fee and a 3% sellers fee. There are many companies that will list it for around $300. This gets it on MLS and saves the first 3%. If the property is priced right (have the listing company runs comparables to help you determine price). As usual, if you are higher then comps it will take longer. Likewise, if less, it may move faster.
That's not necessarily true. My company usually charges 6% commission to be paid at closing. If another company sells it, then we split the commission. We don't charge an upfront fee and still put it on MLS.

Good luck, looks like a nice place.

·
1,923 Posts
I sold two of my Rockport lots a few years back
I took pictures, put together some maps - put it together into an 8 page brochure
put a For Sale sign on the lots mailed the borchure to people who called me from the signs on the lots - sold them for cash - my asking price.
It was very simple - my price was non-negotiable - buyer paid all closing costs (title company) We did all sales through transfer of documents via the title company - signatures in front of a notary - I got a cashier check for my original asking price - delivered by FedEx - never met the buyers - didn't go to closing - they didn't either.

If I was selling them today I would list the property on Craigslist.

Two years ago I did a professional listing on Craigslist (big pics - HTML) and listed my sister's house in New Braunfels in the Craigslist in SanAntonio, Austin, Dallas, & Houston. The house sold in 7 weeks from the Houston Craigslist listing. She got her asking price - cash sale

this is what one of my pro listings in Craiglist looks like

·
Registered
152 Posts
I see atleast 3 triangles in the pic near the center. It's like one of those puzzles. Road access? Water? Utilities? How much? I own a real estate company, and I might be interested.

BTW, beware of realtors. we have several that work for us and it is my opinion that real estate gets sold despite realtors, not becasue of. Yes, I don't have time to go showing all my properties, but if I had just 1, and it was raw land, I would just craigs list etc and let it show itself. Put a combo lock on the gates and check it every so often.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i would definetly use a realtor . i sold 8 acres a few yrs back when i told my neighbor i was listing with realtor he told me i was stupid he was selling his himself and keeping the comission . i sold mine in 3 months for 85k he sold his 1.5 yrs later for 28k she actually had me double my asking price cause she knew i could get that worked out great for me considering i only paid 25k

1 - 14 of 14 Posts