2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting an alarm for my new vehicle with the advance feature like paging you and all. Does anyone here have an alarm/paging unit like this or similar? Do they work well, and how long will the battery last? I'm specifically asking about the new ones they are installing nowadays. I had and older one from 2004 and it eats batteries like crazy. I was changing out batteries every 3-4 weeks.

·
Life is tough, tougher if you are stupid
3,507 Posts
Really? I don't want to sound negative or doubt this claim but I was under the impression that doing this is illegal. I could be wrong though. I am going to research it because I thought of using this method a number of years back and thought someone told me is was allowed. :hairout:
ShadMan said:
I have a friend that has the new one that shocks you if you lift the door handle without turning the alarm off. Sweet! :D

·
Registered
723 Posts
Waypoint, I have the same style alarm on our Expedition and I'm really pleased with it. I use the remote start daily and appreciate the paging feature when away from the truck. I did have to turn down the shock sensor though because it would go off when ever the neighborhood cat would use the truck as a catapult.

·
Fat boy fresh
2,041 Posts
i had an alarm similar to the one pictured, and i think my brother has the exact one in the pic. neither one of us have had problems with them, i had one on an 02 ram, and he has one on an 06 silverado. only complaint is, the distance with the paging keychain is shorter then the other "basic" remote. other then that, when your in a store, or restaurant and it goes off, you know to go check it out, plus ours could/can tell you if it was broken into, or just bumped. i work about a block from where i parked my truck, and it would start with the 2 way remote, but you would not get a confirmation every time. just one piece of advice, have it installed at a reputable shop, there are a bunch of wires, and some cars/trucks have to have resistors put into the wiring. when somthing goes haywire, your better off having a reputable shop that will be there a year after the sale to fix the problem. i know dodge had a recall that afected the wiring,and i took it back and they just jumped the power source across. but lo and behold the shop closed up and re opened with a new name about 6 mos. later.

·
Banned
2,026 Posts
I have a Prestige, similar to the one pictured, and if i use an el cheapo dollar store battery, it will go dead in a week. But the Bunny Batteries last about 5 weeks. With a new battery, it will send and recieve a signal about 950 feet away (when it was new).
But i really like it for the remote start. Of course, you have to get an extra key made if you want the remote start option. It has to have a key within the system for the chip to work and allow it to start. (at least it does on my Excursion)

·
Banned
2,193 Posts
ShadMan said:
I have a friend that has the new one that shocks you if you lift the door handle without turning the alarm off. Sweet! :D
How sweet is it to shock a small child playing in your yard? Or kill someone? Can you spell illegal?

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
Well, it turns out that it is something he has rigged into his truck using some sort of capacitor/electrode setup that activates if the dome light comes on while the alarm is set (his dome light comes on if you lift the door handle). The shock is not very powerful (I have felt the shock from it). It is similar to the static shock I experienced every time I got into my truck when I lived in Denver. He said that he talked to a friend of his that is a judge prior to installing it and his friend said that as long as the shock could not cause bodily harm and could not be accidentally tripped, he is OK legally. That doesn't mean someone couldn't sue him in civil court, though. In other words, use at your own risk. ;)

·
Banned
2,026 Posts
I didn't buy my alarm to keep somebody from stealing my truck, I bought mine to deter anyone from messing with my truck at all. And like someone said before, i had to turn down the sensitivity to keep the cat from setting it off, so i wish i had one more tool to deter someone from touching my truck.
i really hate having to disconnect my gps and radar detector every time i go to willowbrook . . . . . .

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
My pager will wake me up in the middle of the night if my alarm goes off. One time it actually was somebody opening my door at 3am. They didn't get anything of mine, but they got everybody else on the block. The pager key fob does eat AAAs (one at a time) but I don't mind replacing them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts