2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I have screwed this up every time I try it. I need your tips on how to bend the abalone around the rod. I tried the method that mudhole uses with a heat gun. However all I get is a piece full of crakes. Need advice please:help::help:

·
MHX Pro Staff
1,355 Posts
There's also another trick of soaking it in vinegar first. I've never done it but there's a rodbuilder named Kevin Knox that has perfected it. Randy.
I've heard about that technique but the details on how long to soak it have always been a little skecthy to me.

·
Registered
10,344 Posts
I've heard about that technique but the details on how long to soak it have always been a little skecthy to me.
Kevin recommended in his Rodmaker article, when using the ThinLam laminated veneer, to soak it in white vinegar for 3 days and then boil. He said in his most recent .org post on the subject that he was perfecting a techn. different than heatgun or soaking/boiling. I've not done any, but it DOES look nice!
Jerry

·
MHX Pro Staff
1,355 Posts
Kevin recommended in his Rodmaker article, when using the ThinLam laminated veneer, to soak it in white vinegar for 3 days and then boil. He said in his most recent .org post on the subject that he was perfecting a techn. different than heatgun or soaking/boiling. I've not done any, but it DOES look nice!
Jerry
It does look nice but I'm not going to soak something for 3 days in order to put it on a rod.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi guys. I saw the post and thought I would chime in. There will be another article coming out in the next Rodmaker magazine which has a new up to date and greatly modified process for bending the abalone. Its easy and I do admit that the downfall of the old process was the 3 day soak time.
The article will be out in the December issue and then it can be shared with all.

Nino,
I do have the DVD but if you get Rodmaker, hold tight. It should answer all of your questions. I will be doing an updated DVD and will also have a booth at the ICRBE in High Point in February. Also, I will be putting on a 1 hour seminar, showing the new process on Saturday morning at 10 at the show.
Please forgive me for not introducing myself before this post as I just joined the site today.

Kevin Knox
www.anglersenvy.com

·
Registered
10,344 Posts
Glad you found us, Kevin! I hope I didn't misstate anything. Looking forward to reading about the newest techn.
Jerry

·
Registered
32 Posts
Jerry,
Thanks, you are on the right track. I can't give it away yet, but when some of you get the magazine, you can spill the beans to everyone else.

Here are some pictures of some of my latest builds
2-4 oz livelining rod

50 class standup

Seeker fluke rod

500G Vertical jigging rod

As you can see, the opportunities are endless and with the new technique, its so easy!!!

Kevin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts