2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an interesting weekend, thought I would share...

Around 3:30pm on Saturday I decided that I was kind of bored... checked the weather and decided that the conditions looked too nice to be in the house. Called up my step-dad ("rodholder" if you read the TKF forum) and talked him, my younger brother, and one of his friends into going down to McFaddin for a little night fishing.

Got on the beach right around dark and yakked out two chunks of sting ray and a good 12" mullet to soak over the night. Built a fire and put on about 15 layers of OFF, Cutter, and/or any and everything else that would keep the bugs off... man were they terrible!

Action was pretty slow until early morning. One of the yakked rods with stingray got hit hard around 4:30AM. Almost spooled before my step dad could even get to it... unfortunately the hook missed its mark.

Now... this is where "firsts" start....

Given the calm conditions we decided it would be no problem to yak the baits back out in the dark. So we pull in the rods to check bait and re-deploy. My step dad takes the frenzy out and drops two baits... BUT when he comes in he says "put the life jacket on... you HAVE to go out there..." and wouldn't tell me what was so great.

So I throw on my PDF and start heading out. Out about 50 yards I start to notice something very interesting! With each splash of the paddle the water is glowing fluorescent green! I had seen this before on TV, but never in real life! I look behind be and, sure enough, there is a glowing green trail of wake. How cool?! I paddled around in the dark for about 10 minutes just because it was that interesting!

Right before day break, around 6:00, we hook and release a bull red… I was too lazy/tired to measure or weight him, probably something in the 36-38 inch range.

After sun up, I noticed one of rods has slacked and I pull in small shark. I think it was a Sharpnose, but I am not sure…. Will have to wait until I get the pics, but I know it wasn’t a black tip, bull, or lemon… it’s the second of my weekend “firsts”.

Around 7:30 I notice a good color change about a mile off shore. Given how calm it was, I couldn’t help but try some “beyond the (non-existant) breakers” yakkin. All I had with me was my frenzy, which isn’t rigged up for anything but taking baits out. Nonetheless, I decided to load up a couple baits and a rod and go for it.

About 300 yards I decided to throw out a smallish (5-6 inch) mullet and troll it behind me while I made way out to the green/blue water. That didn’t last long. About five minutes later I was hooked up and landed another small shark. To be quite honest, I am not sure what it was… it was the first time I had (1) gone BTB fishing from a kayak and certainly (2) the first shark I had ever caught from the yak. I was paying way more attention to handling him than ID’ing him. Again, have caught quite a few black tips and bulls surf fishing, so I am pretty it was not a BT or a bull. So I racked up “first” number 3 and 4 at the same time.

I actually ran out of bait before I made it to the color change. I landed two more smallish black tips in the 3' range.

By 10:30am everyone was tired as could be and we headed home. It sure was nice getting a little salty and catching a few fish was a great bonus!!

Hope everyone else had a good weekend.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I've seen phosphorescence several times over the years at night. It's truly beautiful and fascinating. Unfortunately, I've never caught fish when it was in the water. I believe the fish can see the line moving around and it spooks them.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Good chance those sharks you are talking about are altantic sharpnose sharks. Very common along the Texas Coast. The junveniles will also have small faint white spots along there sides. Good report!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts