2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Emma, the bottlenose dolphin that we were preparing for release, died this morning. (She the one that's in my avatar.) We'll be doing a necropsy in the very near future to try to figure out what exactly happened. She stranded on Nov. 13 on PINS, so we've had her for almost a year. We were afraid she was getting stressed in our care and were trying to speed the release up as quickly as possible.

Anyway, thanks for all the support and interest.

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
DG,

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of Emma. The kindness you showed her is heartfelt. Over the year as I read through your updates it was one of those instances when you made me feel the human race - despite all the horrendous events as of late - does indeed harbor a kind heart. Thank you for that. You and all the good people who tried to help this stranded dolphin made the world a better place.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Im sorry to hear of this Dolphin Girl. Atleast she had very kind people like yourself around her in her last days. Once again thanks for what you do and Im soory for your loss......later,Dave

By the way it got to be cool to do whatcha do

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the heartfelt words. This was the first animal I've worked with that has died. I really didn't think it would bother me as much as it has. Emma is the dolphin that came in with a black eye and a huge bruise covering most of her tail and torso. No one gave her any hope. But she perservered. And everything was planned for her release -- we were just waiting on the final word from NMFS. She was soooo close... but obviously there was something going on there that blood testing didn't detect. So I guess it's good that she didn't go back into the ocean and spread whatever it was that she was carrying.

I'm trying to see a positive side to it. We saw just how effective physical therapy can be on dolphins, we got some DNA sampling done so hopefully that can help someone who decides to compile a genetic database of Texas dolphins, and hopefully we'll get some valuable information from her tissue samples.

Even though she wasn't a pet per say, that's what I'm comparing it to. You looked forward to seeing her antics and daily progress. There will be more to come I'm sure... :)

Thanks again,
Karen

1 - 6 of 6 Posts