2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
When it rains, I let it.
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my long distance bill today and I am :hairout: ! We made no long distance call last month, but my bill is $26. Anyone I call long distance is covered by my cell phone. Mary and I started talking tonight and realized what we are spending on communications is way out of line.

I need some help as to how to consolidate or revamp what we are doing. This is insane.

AT&T Long distance............$26
SBC Local..........................$45
AT&T Wireless(2 lines).........$80
Ev1 (2 connections)............$26
___
Total................................$177 per month

We never use AT&T, and rarely SBC( except for the internet connection). Should I hit the delete button on both of them? If I do, what would be the best way to reconfigure what we need? Welcoming all feedback!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Why LD $

First thing I would want to know is why the LD charges if you are not making any calls. I dont think you should be paying taxes and surcharges on an "account" with corresponding charges. As for the landline -if you get rid of it do you have an alternate way of accessing the internet? 2 Cell phones at $80 isnt bad depending on minutes and coverage. If those AT&T phones are the old TDMA phones you are going to have to pay to replace them with GSM phones in the near future. If they are already GSM phones you may want to look in to using their wireless data application. Make sure you price the all you can eat plan and not a per MB plan. As you know, those MBs add up fast. If you do that you may be able to drop your Ev1 account and just go with AT&T for everything. Of course what you should do is drop all of your AT&T Wireless and port your number to Verizon Wireless. (Have to do that since they provide my paycheck...)

·
When it rains, I let it.
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$11.88 monthly basic charge...

3Sheets said:
First thing I would want to know is why the LD charges if you are not making any calls. I dont think you should be paying taxes and surcharges on an "account" with corresponding charges.
The rest is taxes and access fees.

·
Heritage, not Hate
3,236 Posts
I have a package from SWB that includes everything under the sun (call notes, call id, call waiting, call id call waiting, etc.)...even unlimited long distance. Taxes and all the bill is around $60. I think it's called the "All Distance" package..not 100% sure though. I dropped AT&T LD a long time ago when I got a bill for taxes only.

Why 2 connections with EV1? You can set up all the e-mail names you want. Unless you're accessing EV1 from work and Mary is on at the house....you might want to drop one of the accounts.

A cell phone is a MUST for me...I have Cingular on my personal phone and Nextel from work. I like the direct connect, but the cell service isn't that great...lots of dropped calls and dead areas.

Good luck...

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Rick,

You need to see if you can get a no minimum L/D fee plan with SBC since they are your basic phone service. The L/D carriers have a minimum fixed fee whether you use long distance or not. Once they hit you with that, they add all the other cr#@ on top: taxes, connectivity fee, charge for phones for the poor, obsene profit fee, just because we feel like it fee and heaven only knows what else. I had the same problem with AOL long distance and caught it the way you did when I had a twenty something dollar charge on a month we made no L/D calls. I checked with SBC and they offered a plan with high per minute fees, but no minimum charge. Since they are both my basic phone co. and my L/D company there isn't a connectivity fee and since there is no charge (unless you use L/D), there are no taxes. Anyway, for the past three months I have had no L/D charges at all on my bill. Unfortunately, there was a notice in my last bill that they are imposing a minimum fee of $2 or $3 per month on the plan I am on. I guess that will open the door for all the other charges, but I haven't seen a bill since the change, so I don't know how bad it will be. If they put all the other fees on, I'll have see if they have another plan with no minimum charge or go back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Like Miss Dixie we have a all inclusive land line phone package through verizon that includes both local and unlimited long distance for $50.00 a month.

$80 a month for 2 cell phones doesn't sound bad if you are getting enough minutes.

As for the internet connections. Have you looked into DSL or RoadRunner? The connection speeds would be much higher. And I don't understand why you would need two connections right now.

·
I don't Exaggerate I just rememeber BIG!
234 Posts
Long Distance

Cool Change,

My wife and I went thought this about 6 months ago. Man we were shocked at the monthly charges of the phone bills.

What we did was discontinued long distance service completely on our land line and stripped everything off no called id, no call frowarding, no call waiting nada and the cost per month is around 10-12 bucks just for basic phone service!

All those extra charges in state and federal fees were eating up for a call now and then!

We use our cell for all our long distance and most of our locals calls as well.

Hope this helps!

Dan

G

·
On A Mission said:
Cool Change,

My wife and I went thought this about 6 months ago. Man we were shocked at the monthly charges of the phone bills.

What we did was discontinued long distance service completely on our land line and stripped everything off no called id, no call frowarding, no call waiting nada and the cost per month is around 10-12 bucks just for basic phone service!

All those extra charges in state and federal fees were eating up for a call now and then!

We use our cell for all our long distance and most of our locals calls as well.

Hope this helps!

Dan
I have a similar set-up with Verizon. I have unlimited local for $23.08 (all tax and other [email protected] included) with no monthly long distance fee. I have "deposited" $15 with Verizon in case I want to make a long distance call; for which I pay 3 cents per minute of use. When my money on "deposit" drops below $15 I am billed enough the next month to bring it back to the minimum of $15. - Verizon didn't advertize this plan. I had to ask about it. I too was tired of being billed for a service I was not using. :hairout:

·
Old yellow member
2,273 Posts
My idea

Switch to Sage if you want to keep a land line, free 100 minutes a month long distance. It's under 40 bucks and you get every option they have, most of them you will not even use.....

That's 31 dollars a month savings you can use for lures. :D

FN

1 - 10 of 10 Posts