2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody.

We've got a 19 foot boat and are going to try some of our first trips out past the jetties this year when seas are pretty flat. We'll be buddy-boating with two other experienced boaters for three boats total for safety. These guys have my back as far as that stuff goes.

My problem right now is all of our rods and reels are basically bay stuff. So, to start it off, I'm looking for some suggestions on rod and reel combos. I know this stuff can get crazy expensive but at the moment I'd like to have two mid-range rod and reel combos for about $250.00 apiece.

So, what would you guys recommend as far as a solid, or at least decent, rod and reel for $250.00 and under? Also, what is a pretty good all around brand of line and its strength for general deeper water fishing for kings/snapper/etc?

As always I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Single speed TLD 25s on the best rods you can afford. Fill 'em up with good 30-40# mono like Big Game or Ande. That is a pretty good start.

Don't leave the bay tackle at home. You can have a blast out there catching chicken dolphin, jacks, macks, etc. You'll be suprised what you can land on "bay" tackle. I have boated some real nice kings on Curados and Calcuttas while farting around on weed lines catching tripletail and chicken dolphin.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
How much do you want to spend Jesse.... I can tell you this.. For $60 you can get a rod and reel that will keep you in the fish for a while...

I use the FTU Penn long beach rods.. You can get them for $10 each reconditioned at FTU.... Then i use a shimano TR200g Level wind reel.. Those are $55 new each at FTU.... Ive used these for a few years and they do really well.... They are not the BEST, but they do withand everything from Kings, to ling, to large snapper.. Biggest king ive caught on this rig is 45lbs....

If you have any other quesitoins.. Just ask...

Id run Mono for now, and then go to braid.. power Pro 65 works great on these reels

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Don't forget to check pawn shops....have also pulled TT in with a curado and braided line on a heavy action 7 rod...

Reactions: ol billy

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
My vote would be a Garcia bg 10000ct with a 7ft heavy action All Star Rod can be had at academy for $40 and the reels can be picked up off ebay for around $100. I have 4 of these and love them and have caught some nice fish on them. Some people will argue that my rods are too long but I like to be able to cast and thats hard on a 5'6" boat rod. With these you can handle fish bigger than you want to put in the boat

Reactions: ol billy

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
We've been using Penn 320 GTI's on a 6' Ugly Stick for years and never had a problem landing fish. The 320 is a smooth operating level wind which will cast easily. About $100 (several years ago anyway).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts