2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought myself a new toy.

Those of you who know me, know I love lever action rifles. Yes, I'm well aware that they have limitations - namely distance and accuracy - but man are they fun to shoot.

I started off with a Stainless Steel 30.30 Marlin. A beautiful gun. It's now my 'goto' deer rifle. Shortly thereafter I bought myself a 45.70 Marlin Guide. Don't take it deer hunting, but it is my 'goto' pig rifle. The greatness of this 'big bore' beauty is the kick isn't what you would expect. In fact, it kicks far less than my 30/30 or my bolt action 30.06. I needed a 'plinking' gun so I bought myself a Henry .22 lever gun. Thing holds 16 cartridges and is a lot of fun!

Well, having put scopes on both my lever action rifles I was lacking a 'ranch rifle.' Just something I could carry with me - to put the 'stalk' on hogs at the stock tank etc. I figure a scope on a ranch rifle makes it more difficult to carry & I'm always worried about knocking the sight off the scope. I guess I could have removed the scope from my 45.70 ... but I picked up this little beauty.

It's a Puma M92 in .44 Magnum. Sweet little gun. Descent craftsmanship. This is the first time I've fired a .44 and I love it. I spent the weekend shooting cans & old boards with .44 Specials and .44 Magnums.

I did go out looking for hogs, but with all the rain we've been having in San Saba the grass was impossibly high, the ranch roads were gone, movement was very, very slow. Because of this I didn't cover much ground.

Actually, it wasn't the high grass that slowed me down - it was all the freakin' snakes in the grass.

Hopefully next weekend I'll get to take a shot at a hog. Anyway, I'm enjoying the heck of this little rifle.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
I imagine that rifle will be a lot of fun, and you now have two great options for pigs. Not to get you thinking, but I had lunch with someone who took his custom .50 Alaskan lever gun to Africa this year. He was there while I was and had a great hunt.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts