2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't read too many boating forum threads cause I'm about as dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to the mechanical end of the new breed of motors out there. So y'all tell me if you have heard of this before.

I have been running a 2005 Majek Extreme with a 225 Yamaha HPDI since February this year. I have resisted the obvious temptation to run WOT since I am not the owner (yet). Basically, I run the boat between 4000 and 4500 RPM with occasional spurts around 5000 on really calm days.

I have blown 2 power heads on this motor with no alarms sounding before either failure. In fact the downloaded history on the motor shows 0 flags between the last replacement and the latest failure.

Talking with the mechanics at South Texas Marine, they seem to think that the Yamaha HPDI was not designed to run in shallow saltwater. The water pickups have a history of easily clogging up with grass and debris and I frequently have to stop and clear them when I notice the water pressure drop.

Now they are saying that its the boat's fault. Yamaha is sending a rep down with a new power head and he will run it out at their test area. They think the Majek Extreme with a 10" setback jackplate may be creating too much turbulence and air pockets are entering the water pickups causing the problem. Have y'all heard of anything like this before? Later, Aubrey

·
The Duck of Death
2,247 Posts
Aubry . I'm sorry I cant help with this BUT would you please keep us posted if they come to a conclusion - if any .
There's been quit a bit of talk lately about WWPS ( wimpy water pressure syndrome) on a bunch of different motors and Boat setups.

Dave

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Don't think I would become the owner of that boat, till that problem gets fixed.

SD

·
Gone Fishing
12,001 Posts
Makes since on the cavitation part, but why no alarms? You would think it would cause a overheating problem.

·
TopWater Tango
895 Posts
I don't know about the HPDI, but on my Xtreme, I have over 200 hrs on my V-Max 225 EFI. And it's bolted to a 10'' set back Bobs jp, I have never had problems.

I would venture to say that Ronnie's Marine has sold more Xtremes than anyone and most of all them are rigged the way your's is . Max @ the Aransas Pass store would be the man to ask. He has forgot more about Yamaha's than most of their Reps will ever know.

Get that thing running good, cause I want to come down this winter and hook up w/some big girls. Shoot me a pm, and let's chat about booking a trip.

Jed

·
Registered
857 Posts
Hello Aubrey. Are the mechanics saying the engine is overheating which is causing the failure? I would think the engine, besides an alarm, would have a feature that would limit the RPMs or shut it down when an overheat condition arises. I would install a water pressure and engine temp gauge in the boat which would tell you if in fact it is overheating because of a water pressure issue. good luck

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
redlegg said:
Get that thing running good, cause I want to come down this winter and hook up w/some big girls. Shoot me a pm, and let's chat about booking a trip.

Jed
I plan on being there when the rep shows up and asking a bunch of questions. This boat may very well be my backup boat for several years and I don't want to have to put up with a powerhead going out every 100 hours or so.

Let me know when you are available. My calendar is wide open for Jan. - March right now. Later, Aubrey

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
barbless said:
Hello Aubrey. Are the mechanics saying the engine is overheating which is causing the failure? I would think the engine, besides an alarm, would have a feature that would limit the RPMs or shut it down when an overheat condition arises. I would install a water pressure and engine temp gauge in the boat which would tell you if in fact it is overheating because of a water pressure issue. good luck
No problems with overheating. I think they are just grasping at straws right now trying to explain the recurring problem. Some of the things I am hearing from the mechanics are: its not designed to go in shallow water. Its not designed to run in hot water (85 degree plus). Not designed to run on tunnel hull boats (Majek Extreme is NOT a tunnel hull).

I really don't know what the problem is and I don't think they do either. They said the rep from Yamaha is leaning toward the hull design. This one was rigged by Ronnie's Marine out of CC. Later, Aubrey

·
Member when we usta.......?
2,835 Posts
I'm no expert, but I can't see that hull design being a problem. I looks and runs a lot like the thousands of bassboats out there with hpdi's and 10" jackplates. I'm assuming it's a VMax(20" shaft) on that hull. The VMax's have a lower water pickup than the 25"ers that, according to Yamaha, is designed for better cooling at higher jackplate settings.

Doesn't make sense to me, G

·
Banned
3,906 Posts
It's gotta be the engine and not the hull design. I have never heard of any problem when an Extreme is rigged with an Optimax. I'm no engine expert by any stretch of the imagination, but could there be any sort of corrosion under the cowling from spray that is causing this?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Motor testing

I suggest that I ride with you for several days and we recreate your daily guiding routine. We run for a little while and then stop and let the motor cool. While we let it cool you might as well fish, and I might join you. We then move around and TEST the motor and so on and so forth. We do this for a couple of days and keep an eye on it. I'm no expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Just kidding, I hope you get it figured out because I enjoy your reports and your pictures of happy clients with nice trout.

·
Fair chase fisherman!
863 Posts
Aubry not sure if you remember Clint from our TRB gathering but he had an issue with his water pickups that were in his pocket cavitating and his 200 VMax was over heating because of it. They had to move his wate pickups and fixed the problem. So it can happen how ever your not getting an alarm. I am also guessing its not a VMax since they say it not designed for shallow running as they put low water pickups on the for that reason not to mention the VMax runs up in the 6 to 6.5k range rpm wise. I hope they get it figured out for you though it has been a tough year for you so far on boat problems.

·
Thank You! Next
7,757 Posts
BF,

I have Blown a 2000' V-max 200, on a Blue Wave and I can tell you it has not been my first and I have many stories and friends with Blown Yammys. I have ran them for many years , Last one had 500 plus hours and #3 and 4 sleeve of piston decided to go through Cylinder wall , No alarms or nuttin' I run a 4 stroke Suzuki and I absolutely love it , 6 year Warranty and it is a sweet awesome motor.. It will be hard for me to go the other way now, too expensive and Gas is going through the wall!!!!!!!!!!! I wish you luck.. Brad

·
See ya on the flats!
1,840 Posts
I run a Majek RFL 21 with a Yammy 150 HPDI, and have had numerous over-heating alarms, but no problems with the power head or grass clogging up the water pickup....Yet! Let us know how it comes out. Good Luck.

Late,
Cox

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will let y'all know what the rep says. It will be about a week before they get here with the powerhead. I told them I want to be there all the way thru the diagnosis. Later, Aubrey

·
These Cats Are Potlickers
1,261 Posts
This one here is gonna need low water pic ups installed. Powerhead is runnin hotter than it should.

California

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
New powerhead arrived today. South Texas Marine will install it and wait on the rep from Yamaha to be here on Wednesday next week. I plan on being there myself to find out what the heck is going on. I'll keep y'all updated. Later, Aubrey

·
Keep on Keeping on....
1,835 Posts
Aubrey, I would also like to be there and try and get them to explain mine. I think you know I too had powerhead failure @ 60 hours. No one knows what happened. I had a TON of overheat situations, something like 45 and I know FOR SURE that there was not over 20. All of them at startup. I just called my rep again and complained they almost cost me a weigh in. Only 13 or so hours on it since new power head and overheated it 6 times already. Again all at startup. What a mechanic told me was that the alarm did NOT necessarily have to sound for the computer to register an overheat situation. That was straight from the mechanic @ Krestas. This is a motor issue with their cooling systems, high volume, low pressure and the same system that has been around for a long time. So, I follow their advice about putting the motor down as far as it will go, and start it. I have even had it started while I was standing clear of the prop but able to put my hands around the intakes, NO SUCTION AT STARTUP WHAT SO EVER, even when revving it up, until the system is purged of air and this is with the upper hole submerged which is just under where the lower unit bolts up! This motor has a brand new water pump, installed at power head replacement and paid for by Yamaha, so no one start saying it needs replacement. This is something that the mechanic said he has NEVER seen yamaha cover. So, something is going on. They have been all excuses at this point with what is going on and the water pump modification is not covered unless your selling dealer can verify that it did not cause the problem. This is why I have been hesitant to do it, my selling dealer does not cover this mod and says yamaha does not approve it and gives them a reason to deny coverage. I am seriously considering a merc. Supposedly this motor works well for some, I do not know how or why, but it just does. SO, let me know if you will when the rep is there, of Give me his cell number so I can call him and see if he will stay around until this Thursday to check mine out briefly. I will be fishing the tournament Saturday, and maybe he can jump in and go fishing with me on Sunday to see what I am talking about. Or please ask him/her to call me 512-560-7660.

Longrod- The VMAX is not a 6500 rpm motor. My mechanic and the factory rep I have talked to say 58-5900 it is generating the max hp, after that it flattens out and at 615o I think it is, the motor registers an overrev situation. Was told your SIGNIFICANTLY reduce the life of your motor if you run over 5900. If your running your motor 6500, get ready for a piston to go through the cowling. The only motors that will handle that rpm are the merc racing motors, which I am considering.

·
Fair chase fisherman!
863 Posts
Hmm just went back over my post sorry for the confusion I meant to say 5.5k to 6k the 6K is only for the 175's and up also. Not to worry no VMax for me yet I only turn about 5200 WOT.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts