2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
some of you know that we have been looking for a new lab. I saw a Craigslist add a few days ago for a free black lab. I went to the home today to see the dog. First...no matter how long I live I still can't believe what some people do. This house was basically covered in dog ****. One crate inside the house with a litter of 7 pups (maltese or something like that) inside, nine cats, various other dogs in the back yard. Did I mention the house was a trailer that is somehow defying gravity and hasn't fallen in on itself yet. Anyway, I told the woman I was there to see the lab. In comes Shadow. Obviously neglected and obviously a good dog. She provides me with the unfiled AKC papers and Shadow I leave. He jumps right up into the truck. Laid on the backseat all the way. He was walked after a bath and now is laying next to the chair my wife is sitting in. The papers say that Shadow was sired by Dusty Finding Feathers and dam was Lexibear. The breeder is from Baytown (spoke with the this afternoon) and was appalled to here where I found Shadow. Shadow is 3 years old, neutered and weighs about 100lbs. His vet appointment is in the morning.

Meet Shadow.

Attachments

·
Say "when"
7,266 Posts
Something seems a little off

I guess the vet will check for a chip...in case he was stolen from someone, with papers no less. But if that proves negative, you have a nice looking and acting dog fo sho.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Wife said to rename the dog "Lotto" short for Lottery Winner. That dog won the lotto when you knocked on that door. Congrats to all of you finding each other:D

:cop: I would call the authorities if the conditions at the house you rescued the lab from were as bad as you described:eek:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You know, I've been struggling with that idea. I don't want to make life harder on folks who are already struggling. There was a teenage boy there, don't know why he wasn't in school, that certainly doesn't need anymore "drama" in his life. On the other hand, the conditions were horrible for both the people and the animals. And...they did the right thing by giving up Shadow without asking for money. I think this time, and I have called authorities before about animal abuse, but this time I am just going to focus some prayer that direction...and check back with them in a few weeks!

Rob

·
Custom User Title
1,096 Posts
That 3rd picture of Shadow looks like he's at home. He know's.
People that will love him and a place he can call home.

Merry Christmas to you and you family tropicalsun.
He does know - and I'm sure he will sleep like a rock tonight.

Enjoy him - he will teach you just as much as you teach him.

TF

·
<***********>< Fish on.
3,101 Posts
Great story! In that third picture, he looks like a black bear. Very healthy looking dog, to have been subjected to such neglect.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts