2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bass Pro here in Dallas used to stock a Red Drum leader made by H&H Tackle. A simple slide leader that has always worked for me. I've landed all kinds of fish, including sharks with these leaders and have really got to like 'em. It's really just a plain sliding rig made out of heavy gauge wire. It sells for less than 3 bucks. In the past I've cut the J hooks off and replaced them with circle hooks.

Well the hook has been empty for over a month. H&H is based out of Louisana and has no website and I can't find any other suppliers.

I know a lot of you are thinking hey ... make 'em yourself. Or order one of the many shark leaders available. I have made them in the past, but realistically there just isn't enough hours in my day. Why I favor them over other leaders is that they work for drum and shark and I can cast them. There the right size for an amature like me to cast.

If anyone knows where I can pick up these leaders made by H&H, I sure would appreciate the help!

Tight Lines

·
Registered
199 Posts
more than likely you can get them at academy in corpus or even at some of the bait camps around there. sorry cant be more specific but I am not ezxactly sure what it is your looking for.

Ramon

·
Gulf Coast *******
216 Posts
Hey there ZD, you live in Dallas?

I am right down here in Arlington. I'll check the Academy for ya.

·
Registered
199 Posts
glad to see made it back in one piece from your trip there skippy. I need to talk to you I will call ya

Ramon

·
Registered
14 Posts
Try Wal mart.I used to use them and i've gotten them from wal mart.In fact the one where i live still carries them.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Walmart and Academy both sell them. Good idea on changing the hook to a circle. The only problem I've had with them is they tend to twist. I normally use 1 H&H and 3 homemade.

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem is the Wal*Marts and Acadamy's here in Dallas don't carry coastal tackle. Anyone here of a way to order them on the web?

SkipJack, if the Acadamy in Arlington carries them let me know. I live just south of Denton and would make a trip into Arlington. Thanks

·
Registered
213 Posts
i'm from Houston, but we had a mini vacation in Arlington this summer. if i remember correctly, the Academy in Arlington did carry saltwater tackle. it had everything our Academys have.

well, if you still can't find them, then the best alternative is to make them yourself. it only takes a minute to cut the cable, slide on a weight, a few beads, and crimp. i like the 60# Berkley Steelon for light tackle and the 120# for medium tackle.

·
Registered
46 Posts
For Bull Reds I have used the Breakaway Toothy Critter clip down, has the circle and all. I think they also have a wire long distance clip down with a speed clip so you can play with hook sizes. Nick does mail order real fast as well. I don't think they would be any good for mid sized sharks though. Ck page 2 of the catalog for details.

http://www.nickaway.com/PDF%20files/BREAKAWAYCAT04.pdf

Regards, Chris

·
Surf-fishin Grandpa
428 Posts
For what its worth, if one Academy doen't carry the item I've talk with the manager several times and he has had it transferred from other store. Glich is that it has taken two weeks. Good luck. I kinda remember seeing them at Wal-mart. I too have gotten spoiled with the breakaways.

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Greybeard,

I've heard nothing but good things about equipment from Nickaway. However, it does seem a little initimitading for an amature like me. The diagrams just make it look plain confusing. If I buy a couple of "toothy critter clip down" and take it out of the package is it going to be easy to use? I just graduated from a double drop rig to the red fish leader. Can I pull Nickaway's stuff out of the bag, tie it to my line and cast?

·
Registered
199 Posts
ZD,
you can figure out Nick's stuff pretty easy if not when you are down there buying your stuff pull it out of the bag and get nick to show you how to use it.

Ramon

·
Registered
46 Posts
The only down side is if you are doing an off the ground cast, the bait tends to unhook from the impact shield. I would get a couple, talk to Nick and others here. I think you will be suprised how simple it really is and it does add distance. If you use the speed link on the end of your shocker, you can rig different sizes, bait and switch out and recast in seconds. I like the system and probably could make them easy enough, but I have lost so few and they last so long, it seems like the price is right for the use I get.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts