2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the boat in my avatar. It's an Everglades 243 - a beautiful boat. We use it mainly for offshore, but while I enjoy offshore, I really like the skill and excitement of inshore fishing (fly fishing and artificials). Plus - it's so expensive and such an ordeal to take it offshore. I'm finding that I am using this boat about 3 times a year.

Before you all jump on me for buying a boat without knowing anything about it, know that my father in law bought it for me and his son and his other son in law. One of my BIL gets sea sick every time and really doesn't like to fish and my other BIL is terrified of the water. Therefore, it's pretty much my boat. My FIL is a great guy who always buys the best. He knows nothing about boats or fishing.

My problem is that the boat has a really deep draft. 16 inches with the motor up and 33 with engine down. When seeing the drafts of other bay boats (4"-12"), I can't imagine why they market this thing as a bay boat. Here are few questions that I would like you all to answer:

1. Would a trolling motor be a good idea?
2. How about a power pole or stake out stick?
3. I live in College Station - that leaves me to Matagorda/Freeport up to Galveston. Where are some accessible places to fish in this thing? I got mudded up in Matagorda Bay once and don't want that again.
4. Do I have t worry about rocks in the upper coast?

Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
2,534 Posts
queso1,

I suggest you back and read all of the posts to your other, similar questions you have posted on 2cool. You have been given a ton of very good advise, by some really creditable fishermen, which you either don't comprehend or consider good, because you seem to keep asking the same questions and making the same comments. You just need to spend some time on the water before you spend any more money on any more gear for the boat. Generally there are no rocks in the bays north of the Colorado River, but there are many exceptions of other structure, everywhere. A Powerpole is a great piece of equipment, as is a Stake Out Stick, but until you learn the bays a little better a couple of anchors with about 50' of rope on each should be fine. The first improvement on your "bay" boat is a jack plate, period.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man. I know I have asked the question before and I always get good advice. I also saw the other thread on the same issue after I posted this. I thought this was a little different. I think my last post was in re matagorda, but you're right I've asked the same question several times and apologize. I just keep thinking someone is going to give me the golden answer I have been looking for.

I would love to put a jackplate on it - but after reading the other thread I've decided to buy a bow mount trolling motor and just raise the motor. Maybe I'll get a jack plate next year.

·
Banned
26,320 Posts
I remember others suggesting you getting a jackplate & learning your way around the last time you posted this thread. I'm thinking I could run that boat just about anywhere.

·
Banned
3,906 Posts
A rear-mount 36V trolling motor would be a superior set-up on that boat. I've owned both a bow mount and rear mount system and will never go back to the bow mount. Your boat would make a fine tarpon rig.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts