2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put this up on the hunting board but I thought I'd go ahead and throw it out to the entire group while I was at it. I look forward to hearing from all you folks that like to walk around packed. ;) :eek:

I guess I qualifiy as a master procrastinator. I have been intending to get a carry permit since they first became available. Just never have taken the time to get it done. I have now gotten my ducks lined up and want to get that taken care of.

What I need is for y'all to recommend some one that teaches the course. I live in Deer Park, which is southeast of Houston, in the Pasadena/Laport area. For convenience sake, I would like to keep it close to home but I'll go where ever I must for a good set-up.

Thanks, in advance, for any and all help.

·
Registered
798 Posts
It's a longer drive, but Sportsman's Outlet in Humble is the best I have seen. It's operated by former policemen, and they make sure everything is right before you leave the range. It's a turnkey deal. My last renewal, at a different range, went great till I got the letter from DPS telling me the pictures taken by the "different range" weren't the right size. Caused an additional delay and extra cost to get the pics retaken. My advise is to make sure where ever you go that it is a turnkey package.

·
Licensed Process Server and PI
413 Posts
I agree...

GripNRip said:
Al's Concealed Handgun Training 281-337-0262 @ Clear Creek Gun Range in League City is great.
I've qualified and re-qualified @ clear creek. They are very nice folks and their class size was pretty small (10 then 12 people). The instructor there is a former peace officer and a real nice guy.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Clear Creek Gun Range

I'll second Clear Creek off FM 1266 (between Hwy 96 and 646). It's the complete setup. Call Al, and ask him what all you need to bring. It is around $200 for the class and the licence all together. Make sure you qualify with a semi-auto handgun .380 auto or bigger, and bring a gun that isn't going to jam on you. Nothing will get Al fired up more than someone with a jamming pistol on the firing line during the qualification test. Bring your own ammo (50 rounds), too. It's easy, and there's nothing to be afraid of. You won't fail the test.

·
Licensed Process Server and PI
413 Posts
nasakid said:
Nothing will get Al fired up more than someone with a jamming pistol on the firing line during the qualification test.
Oh yeah... I forgot about that... That's funny stuff (unless it's you).

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Lol

He has quite the short temper, but I'd imagine if I had to carry a $1 million liability insurance policy, I'd get in people's faces, too, if I saw them acting stupid. Some of his techniques to get his point across just crack me up. It's hard not to laugh sometimes.

"WHAT PART OF 'STAY OFF THE CONCRETE' DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND?!!!!" LOL

·
Premium Member
40,480 Posts
Just as the others ahve said

Clear Creek Range is great. I have known them for years. I even started shooting skeet and trap there (eary 80's), too bad they don't do that any more. Great folks.
Does anyone know if they found out who stole the guns a few years ago?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
don't know

I never heard anything about if they caught the crooks. I think it was right after that incident that they really started cracking down on the rules. They've always been strict, but now it's pretty much zero tolerance. I shoot at PSC now b/c the facilities are better and A&R (Clear Creek) doesn't have a yearly fee anymore.

·
Registered
475 Posts
You might try Marksman on Hwy.3, just south of Ritchie, I got mine there last year and they took care of everything, including pictures, for $99.00.If you don't have a semi-auto they will loan you one so that you will be qualified with one.

·
Baitboy
276 Posts
You could try Carl Murphy, he had the golf and gun shop on center street then moved to spencer hwy, not sure if he still does the class anymore? You can try Chuck Thompson he was at clear creek gun range, not sure about him either anyone else use Chuck? his class was in the little tin building as you enter, wife would get burgers for lunch included in cost, I think it was $55.00 no pass no pay...

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks a lot for all the good info, Y'all! I will make some calls in the next day or so and get something set up.

GDS, I have been going to Marksman since before I met my wife...in 1971. I can't remember the first time I went there it was so long ago. I've popped a cap or two in there and I ain't lyin' :D The South Houston cops used to hang out in there a lot and a few years back I got to be pretty chummy with a couple of them. Had a lot of fun in there!

I will check out all these great suggestions in here and see what's going on. I'll let y'all know how I make out. Or....you could just watch the newspapers and the TV news. :D

·
bait chunker n fish yanker
71 Posts
that is really interesting how many people here Al has taught... got mine there too... Glad to know I went to the right place... and I drove in from North Houston to take his class, I enjoyed it, and it was worth it.

Funny you should say that about the news.. WJ... I was taped for a news story they were doing while doing my shooting and reloading on the range during my class there at clear lake and was on the news that evening... I remember they had that big news camera right in front of my face shooting my hands reloading... so had to do it by feel instead of sight.

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like I'm all set!

I'm signed up with Al for this coming Saturday, 7/17 out at Clear Creek. I'll try not to shoot my big toe off! :eek: :cop: :biggrin:
I appreciate everyone's suggestions and comments. I will be going into this deal with a lot of confidence, thanks to y'all. I 'preciatecha!

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
All I got to say is, "Jack, I take back whatever I said!" :rotfl:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts