2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left Matagorda Harbor at 7:15 this morning and it was a lil chilli out to say the least!!! And before i start the report I'd like to say that I appreciate the several responses I received after posting a request for some guide info for the Matagorda area on here yesterday afternoon. I was impressed that within a few hours I received probably over a dozen responses. I already knew Gorda has several top notch guides and have met a few of them over the years at tourn's or the fishing show in Houston. But due to such short notice and also the 30 mph winds the night before, I wasnt sure what to expect. A few of the guides we contacted didnt sound interested in going at all due to the cold weather and high winds from night before. One in particular though caught me and my buddies attention because we could tell from the first 20 seconds of conversation he was ready to rock n roll! We could tell he was young but he gave us a great deal and his enthusiasm and almost cockiness about fishing reminded me of someone else (me) when I was 24 years old!!! lol So we met Michael Kubecka of Run n Gun Adventures this morning and were off to chase some reds. He was first class from the second we stepped in boat. We fished a few of his spots and caught probably 30 redfish before 10am this morning. Fish were caught in 8-10 ft of water close to cuts off the ICW. We caught maybe 3 on shrimp and the rest on plastics under a cork. We kept 4 fish from 20-25" and released all the rest, also I caught 1 trout about 16". When we set up our first drift he put on a lil AC/DC and other classic rock on his stereo and we sat there catching reds all morning long jammn some good music...helped keep our mind off the fact that our hands were numb from it being 38deg out! So it obviously was a very nice trip with a good friend and now a new friend. If your lookn for a guide for Matagorda i'd def reccommend him to anyone. Hes a youngster but he def knew his stuff and put us on fish all day and was a fun and friendly guide. Now Im lookn forward to hittn my home bay of Galveston West in the next week or so. Happy New Years! The drum pic is from last night in front of our bay house, obviously caught and released

Attachments

·
W.W.
7,397 Posts
Roy, sounds like you guys had a ball, I've never fished down South but plan on it in the future, considering the conditions you guys did great. Did the fish respond better to Skynyrd or Angus, I have found out the deer don't care for either, BTW great pics...WW

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Walter, I think the fish liked Stevie Ray Vaughn the best, when Texas Flood was on we had a triple hook-up on reds! Did you hunt the past few days?

·
Vendor
1,821 Posts
We'll have to get y'all back out there when the conditions are a little better! Michael said he had a blast and would gladly have y'all fish with him again. Good luck in Galveston chasing those big girls.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts