2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I don't Exaggerate I just rememeber BIG!
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After careful consideration this actually qualified as a fishing report. It might be the strangest report that has been posted for awhile

After this past weekend, I can advise you that we have now a “bon-I-fied” fishing/crabbing dog. Our 4-year-old golden retriever "Abby" never ceases to amaze us and also provide entertainment for us and our friends down at our fish camp in Sargent.

Over the past few months she has really showed an interest in the crab traps that we put out, constantly wanting someone to go out a check them. She approaches each line at both ends of the pier and waits for someone to pull them out of the water and inspects them for crabs. We always though that it was funny and strange that she showed so much interest in the crabs but this weekend really takes the cake!

On Friday, Gunner and Reg (Mark & Regina) came down to visit for the weekend and arrived earlier than we did on Friday. So they decided to fish off the pier with some live shrimp till we got down there. When we arrived we were informed that Reg has landed a 34” black drum and Mark had also caught an alligator gar, undersized red and flounder. Well, after being down on the creek for a couple of years, I informed Mark that the fishing this far up the creek has not been very good the past few years and that he was pulling my U-Know-What and I demanded some proof!

On Saturday Mark decided to get some more shrimp and try again, well no having much faith, I went to work doing some things on the boat. I came into the house to get another “cold beverage” and looked out the back window and noticed that Mark had a fish. Now keep in mind that Abby was on the pier the entire time with Mark and Reg going back and forth checking what they were doing!

Now, I come out of the house and ask Mark what he though it was and did he need the net. He responded that he might need the net and wasn’t sure what he had. I walk over to the shed and grab the net and start to walk back to the pier. About ¾ of the way back I see that he has a nice red and is holding it about 6 feet off the pier waiting for me to bring the net.

Well, Abby decided that Mark was endanger of loosing the fish and launches herself off the pier swims over to the fish and grabs it with her paws and tries to bite it on the tail! I yell at Mark that Abby has no way to get out of the water. Poor Mark is worried about getting Abby hooked or her grabbing the fish and breaking the line. I quickly get down to the pier and call her over to the pier and pull her from the water. Mark nets the fish and a 23" red goes in the box.

Unfortunately for Mark he was stuck with Abby the rest of the weekend fishing! Man she made him work following him everywhere and whining when he wasn’t fishing.

So now I have a Fishing/Crabbing Dog Her nickname is Crabby Abby

Mark might add a few details

·
Still a write in candidate HOMER '16
2,582 Posts
At least thats better then a Bair stealer. My dog Baxter will help you beach a fish and when you are not looking he will clean off the bait table for you. I dont what it is about mullet but Baxter loves it.

Josh

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,428 Posts
What a fishing team... Markabby.....LMAO... I'll never let him live that one down..... Gonna come down sooner or later Dan.... All the invites have ment alot to me....I'll just suprise ya...LOL

·
Charter Member
5,923 Posts
Great story OAM, but are you sure Gunner was using live shrimp and not...uh...er... FRESH DEAD! ROTFL! :)

Sorry Mark. Couldn't resist.
Mike

·
Twisted Fisher
279 Posts
Man.......you just had to be there to believe it. That dog is addicted to fishing. Even when Lisa gave her a pigs ear to chew on she brought it outside and parked herself between the porch and the dock....just to make sure no one got down there without her. Abby even liked coming back and checking "HER" catch several times. I just know she was watching that fish and was convinced I would lose it.....so.... she took matters into her own hands "paws". Too funny. BTW Mike the water was so fresh we had a tough time trying to keep the shrimp alive....but I'm pretty sure that one was alive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts