2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been fishing the Galveston area longer than I care to remember but I have never really targeted sharks, other than using a stringer in the surf. I have a couple of cheap 12' surf rods with spinning reels spooled up with what I believe is 300 yds of 25# mono. With a good leader, how big a fish can I reasonably expect to put on the beach with these rods? As far as bait goes is dead bait like mullet ,shad or squid bought at a bait camp worth using? Or would I be better off catching whiting and using that? What is the best time of day, I see where a lot of people go overnight. I remember building fires on the beach down around SLP many years ago, is this still allowed?

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
Size really depends on the condition of your gear. Asuming all is decent condition I was say top out woud be around 6' but could more than likely go a littel bigger. I have always had better luck with live whiting than I have anything else. You best bet in my opinion is by a couple pounds of mullet and a pound of shrimp. This way while you are catching bait you have something to make a hook stink. After a few whitings or sand trout are caught swap em out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts