2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Summer is in full swing now and the yard and flowers are doing well. We are about to go to Lowe's for a couple of more things but I also want to get some lumber (cedar or redwood) to build some above-ground boxes for the Desert Roses and a scarlet trumpet vine. Gonna put a bouganvilla (sp) in a hangin' pot as well.

I thought you might like to see these.

1. and 2. are angel-wing begonia
3. and 4. are Mexican firebush
5. is the zinias around the birdbath
6. is "cactus corners" in the front courtyard.

Attachments

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just got back from Lowes and...

...I now have all the lumber and nails to build 5 boxes, one for each of the Desert Roses.

Miss Pam found a couple of pretties so we had to ad to our growing collection.

1. Is a passion flower. I've never seen anything quite like it.
2. Is a different kind of begonia than the one posted above.

Attachments

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,429 Posts
Great pics Jack, your photo skills are outstanding....the firebush is also called a Hummingbird bush, I have a huge one...

·
Ice tea and beans
4,589 Posts
Mr Jack

Next time I see ya, I have a plant to give ya. It's an air plant, that you can grow in a hole on a piece of driftwood. I have several different types of brohmeliads, and will need to be thinning them out pretty quick. Each one puts on several pups, after flowering.

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bert, man, that would be SPECIAL! Pam Loves brohmeliads. Every time we go to the rain forrest at Moody Gardens she spends more time looking at them than anything else. I don't guess I'm familiar with the air plant but sounds exotic. Many thanks.

·
Ice tea and beans
4,589 Posts
ame thing bud...

Walkin' Jack said:
Bert, man, that would be SPECIAL! Pam Loves brohmeliads. Every time we go to the rain forrest at Moody Gardens she spends more time looking at them than anything else. I don't guess I'm familiar with the air plant but sounds exotic. Many thanks.
basically more general classification, brohmeliad, getting more specific.....also have two different types of tillandsia.......but they grow slower......again, they are an air plant in the same family as the brohmeliads....

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
men talkin about flowers.... what a shame...... j/k LOL.....................JJ

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
JettyJumper said:
men talkin about flowers.... what a shame...... j/k LOL.....................JJ
LOL w/JJ
kinda makes you wonder how hard it would be for them to wear that pink thong if they lost the flounder fishing contest against the women LOL j/k

·
Still a write in candidate HOMER '16
2,584 Posts
It must be tuff to have noting to do but sit around and watch the flowers grow and snap a few pics here and there. I bet it gets real boaring. I have something to do every day from 8 to 5. Jack nice pics.

Air plants are really cool, i worked at a gardening store for a while and those and orchids were what i took care of on the plant detail.
Josh

·
Ice tea and beans
4,589 Posts
Dude

TexasDux said:
LOL w/JJ
kinda makes you wonder how hard it would be for them to wear that pink thong if they lost the flounder fishing contest against the women LOL j/k
pink isn't my color.......maybe limetrues?

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Josh, when I was your age, I would have broken into a million pieces if I had to sit around and look at birds and flowers for 5 minutes. I would have bet the farm against EVER getting to this "old man" stage. But ya know what? I do enjoy it now. The years have a way of "introducing" you to new interests. :D

G

·
Question

Walkin' Jack said:
Josh, when I was your age, I would have broken into a million pieces if I had to sit around and look at birds and flowers for 5 minutes. I would have bet the farm against EVER getting to this "old man" stage. But ya know what? I do enjoy it now. The years have a way of "introducing" you to new interests. :D
Jack, As you have gotten older, has your preference for Catch & Release increased?

When I was young I Caught & Shot everything. Now I don't hunt anymore at all, and I don't enjoy fishing for anything I would not eat (billfish for example), and I keep little of what I do fish for and catch.

For what ever reason, all life has become more precious to me. - I'm certainly not a vegetarian, but the thought of slaughterhouses distresses me (At least a deer has a chance.)

Does recognizing your own mortality tend to make one see life as more sacrosanct? Does growing old make you value all living things more; find the time for birds and flowers; especially relish the "newness" of the young?
I find this true for me and wonder if this is what the basis of wisdom really is.

(On a totally different topic) If your hearing is starting to go like mine, when you fly to Florida and your daughter meets you at the airport, make sure that when she spots you in the airport she really hollers loudly, "HI JACK!", while she waves and points. :)

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
-JAW- said:
Jack, As you have gotten older, has your preference for Catch & Release increased?

* Absolutely! I used to keep every thing that was legal to keep, whether I needed it or not. Now adays, especially if I'm fishing the surf and I'm by myself. Some good lookin' fish get to swim again and no one ever sees or hear tell of them. I just keep one or two to eat fresh. Once in a while I'll keep some for a neighbor or the kids but mostly it's C&R. And ya know what, it doesn't hurt me a bit. In fact it makes me feel GOOD.

When I was young I Caught & Shot everything. Now I don't hunt anymore at all, and I don't enjoy fishing for anything I would not eat (billfish for example), and I keep little of what I do fish for and catch.

* I quit hunting about 15 years ago. Now I'd much rather "hunt" with a camera.

For what ever reason, all life has become more precious to me. - I'm certainly not a vegetarian, but the thought of slaughterhouses distresses me (At least a deer has a chance.)

Does recognizing your own mortality tend to make one see life as more sacrosanct? Does growing old make you value all living things more; find the time for birds and flowers; especially relish the "newness" of the young?
I find this true for me and wonder if this is what the basis of wisdom really is.

* Well, you may have gone a little deep for me on that one. LOL! I will say that I used to hate leaving the woods, the lake, the surf, with the knowledge that SOMEthing was still alive. Killing animals doesn't necessarily bother me now it's just that I don't need to do it. I enjoy them much more these day still walkin' around.

(On a totally different topic) If your hearing is starting to go like mine, when you fly to Florida and your daughter meets you at the airport, make sure that when she spots you in the airport she really hollers loudly, "HI JACK!", while she waves and points. :)
* Hearing you say? Now you're tellin' Noah about the flood! I am currently on my second pair of hearing aids. I don't wear them nearly as much as I should but I wear them way more than I really want to. The grandkids have little patrience with a deaf old grandpa, and that's a fact. ;)

Fortunately Robyn is not in Florida, else wise SHE could pick up the car herself. She is in Chicago preparing to move to Dallas. That puts me on a plane to Ft. Lauderdale. Anyone yells HI JACK, I'm runnin' the other way! :D

·
Registered
223 Posts
Nice pics Jack,

but I do have one question: On the second shop of the angel-wing begonia, when you laid down to take the shot from underneath, how did you keep the ants off your noggin? ;)

Just curious,

MIK

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mik, Actually, both shots of the angelwing were take with me layin' on my back. As far as the ant thing, I had Miss Pam to stand a few feet away. Ants are more attracted to sweetness. :D I managed to get the shots and get her back in the house with only a few ant-bites. We both agreed that the outcome of the pics was well worth her temporary discomfort. LOL!

Actually, you may have noticed that aloe plant in the "cactus corneres" shot. That stuff is terrific. Simply break off a small piece and rub the goo on the ant/mosquito or any insect bite or sting and you get instant comfort. The stuff is funky smelling and slimy but it immediately takes the fire out of most bites/stings.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I don't grow nothin' I can't eat. Collard greens and all kinds of peppers mainly. But when I was a teen my family took a vacation to Florida, and my Mom bought a little leaf of an "air plant". She just pinned it to the top of a curtain and in a year it was solid green curtain. Really neat. If I could find one of those I would get it for sure. I ain't a total hillbily, just close.

·
When it rains, I let it.
2,861 Posts
-JAW- said:

JAW, your wisdom and insight is not missed. I was Jerimiah Johnson in my prime. Hunted, trapped, fished, spent 2 weeks in survival training when the temp was 25 degrees.

I don't know if mortality has anything to do with it, but I do think as you grow older you begin to appreciate the quietness of life. Man, we could get into a 48 hour marathon discussion of this! LOL. I do enjoy the newness of my grandchildren, and I enjoy the newness of the young people on this board.

I think there is a tier for all ages of people. And that the smartest of the younger seek the older. The bible tells me so! I agree that any wisdom that you have to pass to the younger came from your experience. Those that strive to be the best seek those that have "been there, done that"

Internally there comes a time when you actually find a peace within yourself. When things slow down and you begin to appreciate what we have been given. I'm at the age where I can still be a cannonball, but I lean toward those walks on the beach at sunset with my bride. The scales are pushing toward the other side.

I have one question for you backed by a theory I have.

Does time seem to pass more quickly than it used to? If it does, PM me and I'll share it with you. Really simple when you think about it.

Thanks for that post. Evidently this was weighing on my mind! VBG!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Good Eye

Howdy Jack,its clear to see you have a keen eye!those are some fine shots.You also have a good eyes for fishing spots,caught these Sat.about the place you had ribeye and peas.Good luck on the water.

Attachments

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ummm-Hmmmm! Nice mess o' fish there Mr. Finseeker. :) If I ever find a hole in this awful weather and a little space in my, things-just-keep-popping-up-in-my-face life, these days, and if they happen to coincide in time....well, as unlikely as it seems, it'd sure be nice!

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
CoolChange©© said:
Those that strive to be the best seek those that have "been there, done that"
Rick, Pretty profound thought, my friend. I try to tell my kids & grandkids that all the time, but they seem to understand it about as much as I did at their age. Isn't it a shame that wisdom seems to show up in our lives after we've reached an age where we need it less.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts