2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my boat to one of our catfish musters to do some jugging on Lake Houston. I had been having problems with my starter engaging and some people recommended a few drops of light oil up around the cam that engages the fly wheel.

Well I have no idea, the inner workings of a starter. So, the night before, I proceed to give it a good oiling with machine oil. Everywhere on the shaft/bendix, I was oiling it down. After all if a couple of drops would help, imagine what a good coating would do.

That good coating made that thing slip like there was no tomorrow. Whatever was supposed to grab, wasn't grabbing. It would spin though, man that thing was spinning.

All this was going on, about five minutes after I put my boat in the water. I've got a bad starter and I'm ready to fish. I ask around and get a number to a boat motor mechanic and he tells me to take the bendix out and dry the shaft with alchol or brake cleaner.

First off I don't know what a bendix is.(I do now) I assume its the shaft that goes up and down and that is what needs to be dried off. So, instead of taking the nut off the top, to remove it. I proceed in taking those two long screws out and the next thing I know, is that I have a top, middle and a bottom piece of starter in my hand.

I dry everything and everything is going fine, til I start re-assembling it. On the bottom piece, there are 4 spring loaded magnets that have to be seated in order to put this thing back together. I called the mechanic back and he told me that all I needed to remove, was the nut. Not the two screws. And if I had it like I described, that I need to put my boat on the trailer and go home. There was no fixing it.

The way I look at it. If a man can build it, a man can fix it. Going home wasn't an option. I had some catfish jugging to do.

To make this long story shorter. I made a shim out of two hard plastic movie rental cards, with a groove cut in them, so I could depress those magnets and hold them in place, while I put the housing back on. When I got the housing on and the shaft in the required hole, I just eased the shim out and it all fell in place. I put the two long screws back and re-installed my starter.

After a couple of turns of the key, that starter caught and turned the flywheel and hasn't looked back. It is starting like a champ.

It took me a couple hours to do all this, but when I was finished I felt an overwhelming feeling of accomplishment. It ran and I fixed it while the boat was still in the water.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Sounds like a good learning experience. Glad everything worked out. Did you catch any fish.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes sir, we caught some fish. Dbullard and I caught a few. But, Medulla, Crappie Tracker, and Wayne caught a few cooler fulls. Kingwood Catfisherman (KWCF) showed up with a couple 150 QT coolers full of blue cats, yellow cats and a soft shell turtle.

I had never been to Lake Houston before this week-end. There are plenty of catfish in there, but I think I will stick to Livingston, since it is so much closer.

I left the muster early after only fishing one night. There were alot of people to be fed when I left yesterday and from the looks of the peoples faces on our other site. They were fed pretty good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts