2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about going fishing today with another 2cooler last night. Well, he called and said he had something to do so he wasnt going to be able to make it for a wade this morning.. So i went to bed, thinking i might not go fishing.... I awoke at 5 am and for some reason bounced out of bed , looked out the window and said.. Looks like its gonna be a decent morning, so why not go fishing... I AM SO GLAD I DID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was putting down the canal as daylight started and my thoughts went to finding a big trout bite... When i got to the BV bridge, i noticed the the tide was ripping out EXTREMELY fast so i made the decision to target my favorite .. REDFISH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I headed east and fished a marsh area that i enjoy with an outgoing tide.It did not disapoint.. I saw several small pods of reds and quickly had my limit by 7 am... Had about 15 fish in this area, with most being around 21".. I did see a few studs, but couldnt get them to bite.

Since i had my limit ( kept for one of my framers) i headed in search of trout.. I hit a few normal spots over by N deer and the only thing i caught was a lizard fish ( a big one too)... I was thinking about just going to harborwalk to get gas and as i turned the corner into the ICW i decided i had plenty of time since it was only about 8 or so. So i headed back into the west bay marsh.. GOOD DECISION..

I got back into some of my favorite area's and the first corner i turned into was a BIG school of reds... somewhere around 100 fish and all on the high slot size.. The school wasnt spooky and i sat there and picked them apart for about 30 minutes catching over 20 fish out of the school.. They finally got spooked by the boat and ran off. I turned the boat to head back up the marsh and There was ANOTHER SCHOOL and this one was even more fish.... If you havent seen schools pushing down the marsh before, you need to experience it.. ITS A RIOT!!!!!!!!!!!

I hit this school same as the first one and had a bunch of fish out of it before they spooked as well... Turned back up the bayou and POOF there was another one..... This was turning into an amazing morning... Somewhere around 80 fish i called Jerry (fishwish) , and Jason just because i needed someone to talk to about this record day lol... Jerry answered and we talked as i was hitting yet again another school.

I finished talking to jerry and hit the end of the area i like to fish in that marsh, so i proceeded to leave and hit a different area within the same marsh lakes..... I got to an area that is usually loaded up with boats that i have actually never fished.. For someon reason, i went back to see what was down this one particular bayou about 40ft wide.. There were TONS of groups of 4 and 5 fish everywhere. I mean it was like ever 10 yards or so, however these fish were not busting the water etc, they were just cruising the shorelines in a tad deeper water..

ITS AN AMAZING DAY IN WEST BAY.. This is my BEST REDFISH DAY EVER.. I lost count at over 100 slot reds, not a single rat red on this wonderful day and some that were oversize .....I estimate over 150 for the day.. SIMPLY AMAZING

The water fell out over 18" in just a few hours and it pulled every shrimp out of the grass and the redfish were following right behind them.

There is only one thing that could have made this day better, and that would be to have had Kaylin the boat with me... This is the kind of day I live for, and hope that everyone has a chance to have a day like this. I know im hoping tomorrow is exactly like it.

I must give credit where credit is due. Its tough to beat the setup i was using today... All fish were caught on a Shimano Cumara with a 50mg with 30# sufix and TTF soft plastics!!!!!

Below is a link to some video on my facebook page!!!!!!!!

Thomas

·
Registered
770 Posts
Thats pretty cool! glad you had such an awesome day... I had alot to do today but when i woke up, looking out on the water and as my day went by and i would drive by the water, all i could think about was.. "darn, i need to be out there"...

·
Standing on a Whale fishing for Minnows
9,467 Posts
That dream will be back at 6 am. Good luck catching the ZZzz... tonight.

Glad it happened for you Thomas . Maybe a sick day for Kaylin manana...lol

·
Saltmadness
13,573 Posts
Great post Thomas! Had me setting at the edge of my seat while reading it! With a post like this don't shoot at me tomorrow if you see me catting in your shadows tomorrow morning. I've already told my boss how sick I feel! lol

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Awesome post, Thomas! Had me so fired up I raced down there yesterday morning and just knew I was gonna wear 'em out!

I really only had half the experience you had...the fish were there, I just couldn't make them eat! Most of the water had pulled out and there were thousands of reds pooled up in the deeper holes. I caught three, but the rest just seemed to be rolling around and not feeding.

It was a lot of fun watching them, but pretty frustrating not to hook up like you did the day before. Was in the same spot last week with a real high tide and pulled a bunch of nice slots out of the grass. Big water movement tomorrow should put the fish in the same place...big storms will probably keep me off the water, though!

Great job, Thomas! Hope you can get into them like that again, soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts