2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Txfirenfish and I met up at McFaddin this morning. The north wind of the past few days had turned to the SSE at around 10-12 and the surf was light to moderate. We both threw the castnets for a while and rounded up a handful of mullet and a lot of large pogies. We both yakked out the first baits about 300 yards. Johnny had on a large mullet and I put out the head of a 5 lb drum. The seaweed, at that point, was present, but not bad.

Johnny hooked up almost immediately.

The first fish of the day was a 23 lb red.

After yakking out the drum's head, I cast out a mullet bait. Just as Johnny was landing his red, my line slacks, and before I could get there, the reel started screaming. When I tightened the drag, the fish continued to peel line with no slowing down. Then it was over. That sickening sudden slack. I reeled in to find the leader had broken. That rod went back out with a mullet head on it and I baited my other cast rod with a mullet body. Red Sled drove up just as I started wading the second rod out and as I was about 100 off the beach, I looked back to see him bowed up on something on my rod. I hurriedly cast the rod I was wading out and headed back to the beach. As I got there, he handed me the rod and said, "something's on it." I barely had time to feel the fish before my other reel started screaming. I handed the first rod back to Roger and grabbed the second. Unfortunately, before I could even tighten the drag, that line went slack, cut off above the shock leader. I don't know, unless it was cut on some seaweed??? Back to the first rod again and I finally landed a 51" Blacktip. That was kind of the story for the morning. I landed one more 51" Blacktip in amongst a few more missed opportunities.

At the same time, Johnny was having his own problems with lost fish. His fire captain, Tim, showed up around midday and soon was hooked up on a shark that came loose close enough in for him to, at least, see it.

As the day wore on, the wind increased and shifted to the SW at 15+, and the seaweed moved in with a vengence.

By early afternoon, we gave it up altogether. It had gotten to the point, our lines were immediately drug down the beach without setting at all. Not a hopefull prospect for this weekend.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry about the pictures. They were supposed to be downsized.

·
Banned
1,237 Posts
great job bigfost i went tuesday with no luck at all son managed 4 pups couple weeks ago way to go i sure hope we can end this in at least top 10 place

·
Registered
810 Posts
Where is McFaddin? Folks on the shark boards have mentioned it before but I am not familiar with it.

Thanks Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts