2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright.... this isn't technically FISHING related, but it is FISH related.....

We have a koi pond in the backyard, and it's constantly getting mucked up with algae growth every couple weeks... the only product I've found is apparently toxic to dogs, cats, people, plants....everything but goldfish.

does anyone know of anything more "natural" to treat the algae with?
The pond is probably about 300 gallons

and please.... don't recommend getting 698 algae eating fish!..... LOL

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess that's what I'm going to have to do....

The problem is my dogs drink that water out of that pond all the time, and my little boy is always playing in it...I didn't really like the idea of pumping it full of chemicals

·
Registered
230 Posts
Good question. I had no luck finding an "official" algaecide that claimed anything better than REDUCED toxicity to pets. So I asked some colleagues. Below are the answers I got. No warantee expressed or implied, but some ideas for you. Let me know what works. I have not tried these myself, and my client has not gotten back to me w/ a follow up.

We use a dye called "Admiral" that turns the water of our stock tanks slightly blue to inhibit algae growth by restricting the amount of sunlight that penetrates the water. No toxicities that we know of. Livestock and fish are doing fine. Kids swim in the water and it is great fun talking about the "tidy bowl" water. It really leaves clear water a beautiful shade of blue. Hope this helps

A bale of barley grass hay weighted in the bottom of the pond.

Steve, as a kid we used Laundry Bluing Agents in our horse and cattle
troughs and they had gold fish, if I remember it was just a capful,
and within a day all green stuff was gone. It is the same ingredient
in whitening shampoos etc. I Googled it and found several sources and
it says is non- toxic and biodegradable. Don't know if this is any help.

In an ornamental pond good biological filter, strong plant population,
and a UV sterilizer in line with the filter is your best choice for
keeping algae growth down. Algae growth increases with increasing
biological material in the water as well as increased light. Reduce
these things by using the methods listed above and you will have no
algae problem.

Good luck.

Steve

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Do you have a pump and filtration system? I've got about a 400 gallon pond that has a Tetra pond barrell type filter. I don't have an algae problem, may be due to the pond not getting much sun but I do get sludge build up on the bottom. Also do you have fish in it? I see my koi eating the algae on the sides sometimes.

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ditto said:
Do you have a pump and filtration system? I've got about a 400 gallon pond that has a Tetra pond barrell type filter. I don't have an algae problem, may be due to the pond not getting much sun but I do get sludge build up on the bottom. Also do you have fish in it? I see my koi eating the algae on the sides sometimes.
I have a filter that has the pump inside of it, I think the pump is about a 350 gallon per hour. The pump and filter weren't really expensive... maybe 75 bucks for both... maybe I skimped too much there.

I think the problem may be this thing is in full sun almost all day long. I have a few plants around it, but they're not big enough yet to provide much shade. The fish I have (the previous fish died) are still small... only 4" long or so. I cleaned the entire pond out last week (which is what killed the other fish) washed all the rocks, cleaned the sides...and within 4 days, algae is already building on the sides and the rocks....I'm about to give the fish to a neighbor and fill the whole **** thing with rocks.

·
Borders, language, culture
6,342 Posts
DogDoc has the best advice I think. Your pond gets too much sunlight. My pond is fully shaded most of the day and I have no problems. Of course the trade off is lots of leaves falling in the pond, so I installed a skimmer so that gets most of the leaves. You may want to try an inline UV filter like DogDoc said. They can get pricey, but if you want good water........

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
good deal. I really appreciate the input from you guys.

I'm going to try that dye to tint the water, and maybe get some kind of plant to provide some shade in that area

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I know a guy who builds pond professionally, what he does is adds a GOOD filter system (those pond waterfall fiters just don't cut it) and a UV sterilzer. I use a UV in my 180 gallon saltwater aquarium and it works well. Just make sure you get the correct size for your pond, or even a bit larger.

·
Kids, Surf, Fish, Golf.....
613 Posts
Have a 700 galllon koi pond in my backyard.. same issues, full sun and green water. I have used the barley mats, they worked a little, but the best was a couple months ago, when it was cloudy for a week or so in addition to 5+ inches of rain.. water cleared up to bath tub clarity for 36 hours.. was nice. Next day, cloudy, day after... **** again. I am going to try to put a couple sail shades above it and see if that helps, then will try the UV sterilizer. I never would have guessed that this would be more work than my 100 gallon reef.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I used to have a couple of koi ponds I would have to drain, clean and replace water quite often. I had a pump and sand filter but the water would turn pea green and we couldn't see the fish. Someone suggested a UV sterelizer. I ordered one on-line, installed it and never had a problem again. That was after years of cleaning regularly. Mine was all hand dug and coated with cement so I only had a few plants in it.

·
aka Salty Nacho
4,426 Posts
Do a search for a bog filter. My parents had the same problem in their pond and my dad built a bog filter out of a large ceramic pot and it took care of the algae in a matter of weeks. If you want to know more of the specifics of how it was built, let me know. I have a few pictures I can provide, too, if needed, and I'm heading there this weekend so I can take more if needed.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
I have a faterfall bio-filter, a large bogg filter, some water lillies, and some summerged plants in mine. I also put in a product weekly to dissolve organics. My pond gets full sun most of the day and my water is crystel clear. My koi pond is 9,000 gals. :)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
you can also build your bog to include the waterfall. I have a 500 gallon concrete pond that has a plastic pond above it. Pump carries water up from the bottom, into the bottom of the waterfall, through the rocks, then back down a waterfall to the bottom pond. Should work for you. You can put a UV inline with the Bog Pump if you'd like to help out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.