2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
When it rains, I let it.
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably lame and easy to answer:
Please, no cheating through an internet search.

What do Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale, ****** Ford, Jim Bouton, Al Downing, Tom Tresh, and Mickey Mantle have in common?

·
Registered
325 Posts
They are all

OLD baseball players!!!!! What do I win!!!!1

EZ

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Those are some of my favorites CoolChange©©

I know that I can't answer your question off the top of my head....but I sure can tell you a story about ****** Ford.

Back in the 30's my Mom and Dad used to take me to all the baseball games by our home team the Binghamton Trips. It was a farm team but that's all I learned then. And Mom and Dad were baseball fanatics. Dad was sports writer for a paper in Wisconsin.

We were sitting in the bleachers right behind home plate. I heard Mom asking Dad, more than once, if he could see ****** Ford anywhere. It wasn't long before this young good looking man stood up to bat. Soon I heard from the loudspeaker "Standing up to bat now ****** Ford!"

He hit the first pitched ball but it went the wrong way and someone yelled "Strrrrrike!" Dad told me to watch the pitcher. I did. Then he threw again but ****** Ford dropped to the ground in a heap. I stood up to look but Dad yanked me back down and Mom grabbed me hiding my face in her bosom. I could hear other people in the crowd that had gone for a better view say that the ball hit ****** Ford in the Adam's Apple.

My Mom was upset but Dad calmed her down. Dad talked to one of the players and found out that the team doctor had put something in ******'s throat to push the Adam's Apple back in place. But that was the end of that game for ****** Ford.

And for the rest of the Binghamton Trip's baseball season it was "****** Ford" this and "****** Ford" that from my Mom. My Dad was a stoic

By the way....the Brooklyn Dodgers will be my time for the rest of my life. I was heartbroken when they left Brooklyn. Many older people like myself would give anything to see that team back together again. I figure that's going to be one of my dreams come true when I make it to heaven.

I know I didn't answer your question but those names brought back some great memories. Oh yeah, anyone here ever hear of "Say Hey Willi"?

·
Registered
218 Posts
They all played in the Texas League...

...maybe they all played for the Colt .45s.

·
When it rains, I let it.
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The answer is....

Not nearly as entertaining as your answers! And Aunt Joyce I loved that story! 2cool.

They all participated in the 1963 world series in which the Dodgers swept the Yankees. What makes it memorable for me, we were allowed to bring our transistor radios(if you don't know what those were, please refrain from any old jokes!) to school to listen to the games, as long as we used ear buds!

The details are fuzzy, but I do remember them being some of the best ball games I had ever listened to. Then maybe it was just the comaraderie of a few boys and even a few girls being able to create a rather large noise disturbance in a classroom without fear of a trip to the Principals office.

A lot of our teachers had their radios tuned also. My, my times have changed!

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
CC, You're Right....I Remember Way Back Then....

the part that I left out was, they didn't make their first million bucks until they started doing the Right Guard commercials and after that someone invented NIKE shoes. Thanks for making me drunk. hic! CF? LOL!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts