2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Winter fishing has a way about it that calls for a totally different aproach. Everything becomes more suttle, all it takes is catching one baitfish out of the corner of your eye, or one lone gull trying to steal a big girls breakfast to set the pattern. We started out hitting a spot before sunrise which after 30 minutes of plugging and no signs of life we decided to move on. Put the boat on plane and went on the move, while scanning the area we wanted to fish I noticed a slick no more than 4ft wide and a couple mullet that wern't jumping for the fun of it. The signs were there so we pulled a drift, only one hit but it was enough to come through again, and Bam Rick hooked up and when that pig swirled everything slowed down, got her in the boat for a quik weight and pic. She went 6lb and was a great way to start off the morning. After that fish another drift was certain, just when Rick said "this is about were I stuck my fish" somthing just sat on my bait and that feeling that only a mature Trout gives your line, kind of like a log that shakes it head let me know that this one was a monster. After one moment of terror when she stuck her head out of the water with my bait just holding on for dear life we got her in the net as my bait fell of her jaws. She went 8.5lb and I didn't have the heart to take her from our bay, but she will end up on the wall just in a picture frame which is all I need. Our next drift produced a 5.5lb pig which made for a 19lb tourney stringer, The gators were sent free, and we took 7 from 18''-23.5'' for the grill. I put one of the pics of the big girl, but the one thats going on the wall I just can't post due to background, but who can blame me. All in all an awsome day on the water and this winter thing just really got started.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts