2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was a GREAT day on the water. I went 0 for 7 on the Kings but the stats don't tell the story, it was one of my best days on the water and a trip to remember for a lifetime.

It was my 9 year old son Kyle's first trip offshore. It should have happened earlier but for alot of wrong reasons didn't. He at least is old enough to really enjoy it, learn from it, and be hooked for life.

The trip was a 9hr on the Dolphin with Capt. Dean. He didn't run the 80hr this week (it is out on the LaPesca) so I figured the boat would be a good choice for a day trip with Kyle.

We had a short run to some shrimpers and started drifting. I used my Tiburon SST-12 with 40lb line. It wasn't long before I had a hookup. Kyle had never caught anything bigger than a pearch/croaker/small bass so my plan was to handoff to him. This one however came off shortly after hookup. Upon reeling in it was apparent that the leader had been bit clean through. I was using some generic steel 3 hook kingfish leaders by Maxtec "Heavy Duty - Over 100# Test". No 3106. Bought at Roys I think. Bad mistake. Piece of junk. Throw them out if you have them. Capt. Dean saw it and handed me one of the boat 2 hook rigs that they rig up themselves. I never lost another leader - though I did have a few fish short bite it and either take the ribbonfish bellow the second hook or not well enough to hookup. I still like a 3 hook rig but need some better rigs than those Maxtec junkers.

Shortly after changing to the 2 hook rig I had another bite that short bit the bait and came off. I proceeded to have 3 more solid hookups and handed those off to Kyle. Of the 3, he lost 2 but did get one in the boat - his first King. One of the 2 he lost was a nice, solid fish. Not a smoker but really good. Well bigger than the average size king being caught. It came off though as apart of the learning process. I allready considered the day a success but it was capped by Kyle hooking his own King and landing it. Those Kings weren't the only things hooked this day.

I decided to catch my own but the bite slowed and it wasn't to be. I had one on that came off at the boat just before being gaffed and another that short bit again - taking the ribbonfish bellow the 2nd hook - Grrrrr.

Kyle saw some sites today that will stay with him forever. His first trip to the deep blue (seas were nice, 2-3'), his first Kingfish, a school of freejumping bottlenosed dolphin, a school of bonita, the usuall shrimpers, freighters, tankers, and even a Naval Station Ingleside Minesweeper, this am he even saw something that I have never seen. There were scattered showers about - nothing that interfered with fishing or the seas. But they did generate a rainbow, two infact - one going over the other. A double rainbow. (No I didn't get pics
) but I did get plenty of pics of my son and his first deepbluesea fish. To be developed tomorrow.

Of the 39 or so people on the boat only 44 or so Kings were caught - along with a couple of bonita, a chicken dolphin, and a jack crevalle.

We had Kyles fish weighed (17lbs) and cleaned.

I stopped by PJ's in Aransas Pass and picked up a few pounds of Gulf shrimp. We just finished having them boiled along with Kyle's fresh caught (and fried) Kings...it was all mighty tasty.

Wish everyday was like this one - and it didn't even involve a tuna.

I'd like to thank Capt. Dean and the Dolphin crew for another super trip too. It may not be the fastest boat in the fleet, but I've allways come away happy when I fish with them and that is what counts. Earl

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rick,

It was on the Dolphin so naturally I climbed into one of the bunks for the trip home! :)

Earl

1 - 4 of 4 Posts