2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fixing to buy a nissan 90hp. Compaired to the major brands how are they? I have never ventured away from the major brands so i just wanted to hear the differences

·
Done Wit Dat
7,526 Posts
Nissan and Tohatsu are the same. You generally pay more for the Nissan name. Kind of like Chevy/GMC. They are great motors by the way.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just curious about why you decided to buy a Nissan over a Tohatsu? Aren't they the same engines? Was the dealer the deciding factor?
Well a friend of mine bought a boat, motor, trailer package at the state auction. The boat has an 2000 90 hp nissan in mint condition. Doesn't look like they used but very little and was stored in a warehouse. I've always ran yamaha's but for 2 g's im not sure i can pass this up. I just don't know anything about these motors.

thanks

·
Texas A & M Class '76
749 Posts
Nissan motor

As you have read, Nissan and the Tohatsu is the same - just like Chevy & GMC. I own a Tohatsu 90. Great motor ... plenty of power, easy on gas & oil, quiet... good choice for my needs. make sure your boat is the right choice for a 90 hp engine and if so, you can't go wrong!

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Finest motors on the planet! By the way, Tohatsu/Nissan are a "major brand", one of the biggest, we just don't hear about them as much as others. Seems that we only hear about bad stuff, not good stuff, regardless of the type of product.

·
Adrift on the Mother Lagoon
828 Posts
Went to Hong Kong years ago. I've never seen so many Nissan and Tohatsu motors in my life. The "junks" would have two, three or ten 70hp's on the back. You could tell some where just parts motors hanging there. A Yamaha looked like an odd ball out there but there where a few.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts