2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Team Marsh Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the boat out sunday. Everything went good, motor ran perfect untill...... i turned it off- I had to be towed in and it hasnt started since. There is no spark on the plugs...i also tested to see if the coils had power (which they didnt). There is no saftey "turn off" switch on my motor...but thats what its acting like.
any suggestions???
thanks

·
5,853 Posts
Not sure if it has one but I know if the fuse goes...it will not start, it will turn over but no fire. Had to use the foil from a ciggette pack to get back across the lake on a buddies bass boat that had blown the fuse. On mine(johnson) there is a fuse (small one) in a red rubber holder on the side of the motor that powers the power pack. Just an idea.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
If thats a inline 3cyl. check the stator, had a merc 90 that went through 5 stators in 9 yrs. Same thing every time low speed winding open. Rang out the whole elect. system and even replaced ign harness after the 2nd one. Rest of the engine elec. is pretty reliable.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Exactly,there is never any warning it just fails to start, could have been runnig great 2 minutes before. you need to get a copy of the test procedure for the stator. you can ck. it without removing the flywheel. Just meter (ohm out) the leads for the low spd. windings and then the high spd side. I don't know what the color code is any more.

·
Team Marsh Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i checked the stator, trigger and coils with the ohm meter...they all checked out according to the ohm chart from my engine service book (chiltons). i think a wire is grounded out somewhere..i guess i will be bringing it somewhere for service this weekend.

·
Registered
252 Posts
That 'crank but no start' problem sounds like what happened with my Mariners. Ended up that the key switch was fried and rather than having the ignition wire as a load, it was a ground.

·
Team Marsh Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
there is no kill switch- or safety lanyard ...i thought it was odd, but it looks to have never had one.

i've talked to 3 shops and all of them say its the switch box (some people call it the power pack) is bad..they didn't even hesitate when they told me that. one of guys said it could be either the stator or the power pack.

i never checked the switch box with the recommended test in the chiltons book. i am going to do that in the morning..hopefully it fails so i can positively identify my problem and fix my boat.

thanks for all yalls help....i will post my conclusions tomorrow-hopefully its not going to make the trip to the boat mechanic!!

·
Team Marsh Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well after further testing..it got me absolutly nowhere

-i couldnt conclude whether the stator or the power pack(switchbox) had gone bad so i brought it to the shop.
They called and told me the stator had gone out
$430 for parts and labor...ouch!

·
Team Marsh Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL...NUMBER 1 FOR ME! HOPE MY MOTOR DOSN'T GO THRU AS MANY AS YOURS DID! AT LEAST FOR MY WALLETS SAKE

sqwaby said:
If thats a inline 3cyl. check the stator, had a merc 90 that went through 5 stators in 9 yrs. Same thing every time low speed winding open. Rang out the whole elect. system and even replaced ign harness after the 2nd one. Rest of the engine elec. is pretty reliable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts