2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get me a pair of Nikon Monarchs but I cannot decide which power to get. I have read to get 8x and then i have heard people say that they whished they had got the 10x. So which does the 2cool community say? I am hunting the piney woods area. Chester is the city close to Woodville. The area my blind is set up at is more or less tight. 3 roads i can look down but all the trees and brush are thick!!! My blind is about 100yrds or so from my blind. Which do yall think.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I got the 8's but at times wish I had 10's, I think the 8's are better in low light. BUT if Im watching a deer and have to look that hard in low light, he prolly aint worth pullin the tigger on anyway.

·
NRA Life/Endowment member, 49yrs.
1,890 Posts
Anything over 7 or 8x are hard to hold steady for any length of time. The 8x will probably be smaller and lighter and more likely to be with you. But if you will only be using them hunting senderos or shooting lanes, out of a box blind, resting them on the window ledge or on a tripod, not having to lug them around, then the 10x will work.
I have a large pair of 10x and they stay in camp most of the time while I use my 8x Stiner Predators. In the East Texas woods the 8x's are a better choice for me.

Frank

·
Deadeye McGee
3,325 Posts
Nikon Monarch Binos

Most guys I hunt with have 10x as I do. I think they even now make a 12x. I think you would want your binos to be more powerful than your scope to allow you to use its wider angle to locate/find and better assess the game animal before using your scope, i.e. a spotting scope. Just my dos centavos!

·
Tell yo momma and them how she durren...
922 Posts

My wife and I both have a pair of Nikon Monarch "Realtree" 8x42's. I love them becuase they are relatively light, and are very clear. I wear glasses, and have no problem using them without removing my specs. I have one of the crooked horn harnesses that lets them rest on your chest, and would not be without it.

I have taken them Mule deer hunting, and after riding around glassing all day long, my eyes dont get tired.

Good set of Binoc's. I am happy with the 8x, and would not want anything bigger/heavier.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have used 8's, 10's, and 12's and I find I like the 12's for where I hunt out west, it saves me a lot of steps. True, they are a bit heavier and they do shake after holding them awhile but for looking at deer over a great distance they can't be beat. I just got the new Steiner Predator C5 12x42's I can't wait to try in 35 days.

·
Registered
772 Posts
The 8x will have a wider field of view and better light gathering capability.
I use 10x the most but then I hunt open areas where you might be looking miles instead of yards. For Bow hunting a 6-7x has a lot going for it and picks up game in the woods better. For stationary hunting either would work well, walking the 8x would be better.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
For hunting in East Texas you are probably not going to be using for long range. Plus with the tall tree's and brush growth, light penetration is going to help you most in the early morning and late evening. Not knowing what kind of scope you have does not help me with your bono's. Thus if you have a very high quality scope and you can see real early and real late then you want a real good pair of bono's. Otherwise it does you know good if you can see with bono,s but not your scope. Steiner makes the best bono's in my opinion and they have a good product line. Remember this, you should only have to make one investment on bonos' for the rest of your life if you buy a quality pair. Stiener is the only bono's that meet US military specs and are the best on the market for the dollar in my opinion. Check out there product line and purchase a good quality pair and you won,t be sorry.

·
The Jammer
3,594 Posts
After 50 years of hunting, and probably owning 20 pairs of binoculars here's the deal: You need two pair. A good quality 10X40 like swarovskis for early morning and late evening. The extra light gathering capability of these is worth the weight in gold.

Then for the rest of the day a decent, not necessarily top of the line, 8X26 or 10X26-- light and easy to carry. With full sun light, you don't need the top quality lenses, or the ideal ratio of 1 to 5 (i.e. 7X35 or 8X40) There's plenty of light to get good performance. Just put the big pair in a side pouch or your day pack, and have it ready if you need it.

I will still use the big ones during the middle of the day for long distance scanning, but when I get in closer to something, it's nice to have that light 10X26 hanging lightly around my neck.

IMHO,

THE JAMMER

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,581 Posts
I have 10x40 Swarovskis and 10x42 Zeiss and love them both; my favorite though are a pair of 8x40 Leica compacts that weigh nothing. I will say though that I wish they were 10x40 sometimes just because my old 51 year old eyes like the extra magnification.

You can always compensate with your scope. All of my scopes are at least 10x top end with one being 14 and if I can't distinguish a nubbin buck from a doe with my Leicas I'll use the highest setting on my scope to do so.

Good luck with it. Quality optics are a HUGE part of your hunting experience.

TH

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have and highly recomend the10x.....I have Leupold,but reccomend any of the "Good Ones" Leupold ,Nicon,Leitz,Zeiss, Swarovski....as much as you can afford and then a little bit...go somewhere you can look thru them and pick the ones that fit you best....one will definately stand out to you...

·
The Jammer
3,594 Posts
I agree with "going somewhere and looking through them. But don't do it at noon. They all look good at noon. Try to do it at a store 15-30 minutes before pitch dark. That's where you'll really find out which ones are truly the best.

THE JAMMER

backlashingcooger said:
I have and highly recomend the10x.....I have Leupold,but reccomend any of the "Good Ones" Leupold ,Nicon,Leitz,Zeiss, Swarovski....as much as you can afford and then a little bit...go somewhere you can look thru them and pick the ones that fit you best....one will definately stand out to you...

·
NRA Life/Endowment member, 49yrs.
1,890 Posts
And I don't need to mention...Don't be using your scope to check out other hunters...If you've ever been glassing a ridge and all of a sudden there's a hunter checking YOU out with his scope, you'll know what I mean...be safe guys.

Frank

·
Registered
772 Posts
Camera Land optics has a great deal on Vortex Vipers 8x42 and some others. The deals are so good you could spring for the 8s and the 10s. These have gotten reviews that rate them above the monarchs and close to the Pentax supremes and other high class glass. The birding sites have the best reviews like abetterviewdesired.com and 24hour campfire optics forum.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the help. I planned on getting the Nikon Monarchs just wasn't sure as to which ones hence my post. Thank you all for you help I really appreciate it.

My scope is a Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40 but I will be upgrading this year hopefully to a Nikon Monarch 2.5x10x42 or 3x12x42 scope or maybe even a Zeiss 3x9x40 Conquest scope. That is something else I need to figure out also.

Oceloa you are correct about that safety tip. Thant is not something that I would want to do to someone else and is something I wouldn't want don't to me.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
davidb said:
Camera Land optics has a great deal on Vortex Vipers 8x42 and some others. The deals are so good you could spring for the 8s and the 10s. These have gotten reviews that rate them above the monarchs and close to the Pentax supremes and other high class glass. The birding sites have the best reviews like abetterviewdesired.com and 24hour campfire optics forum.
What is the link the that place? I tried looking it up and what I found the price wasn't so great. Thanks

·
Registered
772 Posts
Camera land is http://www.camerlandny.com

Or 24 Hour campfire where John Barseness is one of the moderators

www.24hourcampfire.com

The special is for only certain models in the coyote brown which is an ideal color for antelope and western deer hunting. Look under the banner in the optics section in 24 hr. campfre. The Vortex Diamond back is a best buy at the regular price and the blemished coyote ones are almost 40% off.

If I didn't have Leica's and several others I would get a pair or two, might anyway for my son or as a truck/loaner pair. Loaning the Leica's is like loaning out your best gal, just not done.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would reccomend the lower power. The reason why I saw this is because you are not needing to look an extremely long way. The larger the ratio of maginfication to optic size increases your low light visibilty. For example a 42mm optic with 10X magnification gives you a ratio of 4.2. That same 42mm optic with a 8X magnification gives you a 5.25 ratio.

I always thought until I talked to one of the manufactures that the higher the magnification the more light it gathers. That is not the case, it depends on the optic size. Consequently I now also turn down the magnification on my scope in the early morning hours (it really does make a difference).

I hope this helps.

·
The Jammer
3,594 Posts
5.0 is the most the human eye can absorB. That's why, for years, the norm was a 7X35, or an 8X 40. However, even at a 4.2 you can still get fantastic performance with superior optics and coatings-swarovski, zeiss, etc. The way I look at it- I would rather have the higher power and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

10 BYES all the way. And don't worry about the "the power is too high to hold them steady" argument. Almost everyone uses some kind of shooting sticks these days, so use them for your binos- or if you're an archer, use your bow. Even free hand it's no problem.

THE JAMMER

Fat Boy said:
I would reccomend the lower power. The reason why I saw this is because you are not needing to look an extremely long way. The larger the ratio of maginfication to optic size increases your low light visibilty. For example a 42mm optic with 10X magnification gives you a ratio of 4.2. That same 42mm optic with a 8X magnification gives you a 5.25 ratio.

I always thought until I talked to one of the manufactures that the higher the magnification the more light it gathers. That is not the case, it depends on the optic size. Consequently I now also turn down the magnification on my scope in the early morning hours (it really does make a difference).

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
124 Posts
A 10x has too much image shake to do any length of glassing without some sort of a rest IMHO....

For observation within 100 yards, per your original post, a 6x, 7x, or 8x is what I recommend...

I have the 6.5x32 Minox's from Doug at Cameralnad as well as a pair of 8x42 DCF SP's...

These are all I need. If I need more, I need a spotter or some Big Eyes with a tripod....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts