2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me: Hello.

Them: This is Vicki with Verizon Wireless in Lake Jackson.

Me: Yes.

Them: I am calling about a variance on one of the cell phones on your account.

Me: Yes?

Them: This current month, we show 864 text messages on your account, for a total text message add-on to your bill of $86.40.

Me: That isn't possible.

Them: The bulk of these messages were on phone number xxx-xxxx. There were 364 incoming messages and 428 outgoing messages.

Me: I'll kill her!

Them: We can help you with this sir. We can provide unlimited text messages for $10/mo. We can also back date this so that the $86.40 reverts to $10. So, on your next bill, if you decide to accept, you would have a $20 add-on, and $10/mo after that.

____

I never expected that someone would be looking out for me......much less a utility or phone company......Kudo's to Verizon, but I know that it will be to there financial benefit in the end .......

BTW, she will never send another text message on her cell phone again. The casts come off her hands in 6 weeks.... ;)

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
lol

BTW, she will never send another text message on her cell phone again
Then they did get ya bro. Your payin $10 a month for nothing now. lol Id been upset too. I wonder how many cell companies are witnesses in murder trials. lol

Zac

·
donbmt
667 Posts
They didn't make us that offer after we got our first bill, but we have since learned, that's money well spent per month for a 16 yr. old girl. Yes, we pay $120 a year now, but there is no way to control incoming text's for her, short of taking away the phone, but that defeats the whole purpose of being able to keep tabs on her.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
you know we have nextel (for business) and i cant speak for any other phone carrier but they sure would not do this for us. if you call info to get a number they try to send the number to you on a text message and it specificly says "standard text message fees apply" now tell me how can someone be so lazy that they cant right the number down or remember it long enough to get it dialed?
nextel is the worst service i have ever dealt with. to bad verizon doesnt have the 2 way service like nextel so we can all be so lucky

·
@Drew_Smoke
4,158 Posts
I know you are special Dave but T-Mobile did the same for me when I got nailed by my girls. Just another lesson I guess.

"That isn't possible." LOL I think thats what I said too.

·
Premium Member
40,480 Posts
LOL, I had it out with verizon today. My year DSL package ends this month on one account. So I called to get the "new customer price" (see I get the 14.99 ad in every months bill...I'm paying 29.99 now). I was told they could not because it would be a slower speed at that price, and that next month it would be 37.99 every month, I said fine, at the end of the month, I no longer want DSL from verizon and I will just go with another provider. I then get switched over to another person, and now I can get a 17.99 a month plan but it would be slower than what I have now...I said fine, at the end of the month I no longer want verizon dsl. So now I'm switched to another person, surprise, after doing some speed checking on my upload and download here I was not geting what I have been paying for all year..LOL Now I have a credit for a few months, increased speeds and I have to call back to let them know if I'm going to be happy and they will get my plan setup at the lower price.

I ran broadband reports, got my speeds and called verizon tech support. They have me run their speed tests, I'm not getting the speeds I'm paying for, they put in a central email (whatever that is to get the speed improved), I get another credit to my account for paying for a service I'm not getting.
I love talking to techs..LOL I should apply for a job..I can read. I always think of Forrest Gump.
Mr. Gump, clear your cookies. OK!
Mr. Gump, clear your history. OK!
Now Mr. Gump, restart your computer. OK!
(You know, I wonder if that has ever fixed someones problems? LOL!!)

Oh, I also have a voice mailbox...it has not worked very good from day one. Not a big deal because it's part of one of the hundred packages I have..but it does get old. I'll trust my answering machine until they work out the problems.

I was ready to flush verizon today (well end of the month). It would have been stupid for them not to take my money every month...someone is going to get it, might as well be them...
Overall I have been happy with verizon.
OK!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Referring to "no way to control incoming texts..." Verizon has told me that they can disable any feature like Text Messaging or Picture Mail for a specific phone.

BTW, you guys are way nicer than me, I complain about 10 or 20 text messages.

·
Registered
774 Posts
You can turn most features off or on with your Verizon Wireless Online account. Log in, select the phone, turn features on or off. No charge. I use it on report card days LOL.

·
Roll Tide!
15,791 Posts
Welcome to the joy of raising the modern teenager. I gave up years ago and started paying the $10. To them it's a perfectly normal way to communicate.

I remember my parents yelling at me for hogging the phone line. They finally gave up and got me my own line.

Same concept, different technology.

·
Premium Member
40,480 Posts
Gottagofishin said:
Welcome to the joy of raising the modern teenager. I gave up years ago and started paying the $10. To them it's a perfectly normal way to communicate.

I remember my parents yelling at me for hogging the phone line. They finally gave up and got me my own line.

Same concept, different technology.
I'm 40 years old, I still don't have my own phone line. LOL

·
"Wizards begin as blacksmiths"
6,256 Posts
Got one from cingular 3-4 years ago - over 1200 text messages in one 30 day period. And with all that he still graduated cum laude!

Kids!?!?!?

·
Aggie Mom
5,386 Posts
Believe me, this is not bragging - it's venting, but we just got the Cingular bill. Well, 18 yo son has 1000 text messages on his line for an additional $10 per month. Well, he has a new girlfriend. He texted an additional 2000 (yes, 2,000) this past month for the low cost of $98.00! Needless to say, he will be giving me $100 from his next paycheck plus if he goes over his text allowance, he losses his phone! I HATE, HATE, HATE text!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I got our granson who lives with us his own phone when we renewed our plan, had the text messaging disabled, he griped i told i got him a phone to talk on, not send notes

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Don't feel bad. My brother had some medical problems and I picked up his bills for him until he could get back on his feet. He had loaned his 25 year old daughter his cell phone and specifically told her not to use text messaging as he didn't have this service. There was a charge for $177.00 for text messaging followed by another eighty something the next month. I couldn't believe anyone could type that much. Needless to say, she hasn't touched his phone since.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Bill. I have Verizon DSL up here in Penna. and I am in the same situation. Looks like I'll be making some calls. Never had any problem with the service, just the price. I get the small bundle discount since I have phone and bill my DirecTV through them. Do you do that too and still get that discount or are you only with them for DSL?

bill said:
LOL, I had it out with verizon today. My year DSL package ends this month on one account. So I called to get the "new customer price" (see I get the 14.99 ad in every months bill...I'm paying 29.99 now). I was told they could not because it would be a slower speed at that price, and that next month it would be 37.99 every month, I said fine, at the end of the month, I no longer want DSL from verizon and I will just go with another provider. I then get switched over to another person, and now I can get a 17.99 a month plan but it would be slower than what I have now...I said fine, at the end of the month I no longer want verizon dsl. So now I'm switched to another person, surprise, after doing some speed checking on my upload and download here I was not geting what I have been paying for all year..LOL Now I have a credit for a few months, increased speeds and I have to call back to let them know if I'm going to be happy and they will get my plan setup at the lower price.

I ran broadband reports, got my speeds and called verizon tech support. They have me run their speed tests, I'm not getting the speeds I'm paying for, they put in a central email (whatever that is to get the speed improved), I get another credit to my account for paying for a service I'm not getting.
I love talking to techs..LOL I should apply for a job..I can read. I always think of Forrest Gump.
Mr. Gump, clear your cookies. OK!
Mr. Gump, clear your history. OK!
Now Mr. Gump, restart your computer. OK!
(You know, I wonder if that has ever fixed someones problems? LOL!!)

Oh, I also have a voice mailbox...it has not worked very good from day one. Not a big deal because it's part of one of the hundred packages I have..but it does get old. I'll trust my answering machine until they work out the problems.

I was ready to flush verizon today (well end of the month). It would have been stupid for them not to take my money every month...someone is going to get it, might as well be them...
Overall I have been happy with verizon.
OK!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Kids and cell phones

I solved the problem years ago of kids running up phone bills, gasoline bills, etc. I never got my kid a cell phone. I told her if she wanted one she would have to pay for it. After the first month when she was unable to pay the bill, I had the phone cancelled. When she wanted a car I told her to get a job and save up the money. When she thought she had enough, I matched that amount and bought her a safe reliable vehicle. Then she was responsible for all gas and insurance. As a result, she took care of that car as if she paid for it because she did. I know, everyone wants their kid to be safe and able to call home for help or whatever. I say B.S. I grew up just fine without my parents paying for my gas is a car much less the car and they could certainly afford it. There were no cell phones in those days but I was expected to keep them informed of where I was, with whom, and when I would be home. Failure to do so resulted in dire results for me.

I am convinced that parents today but cars and phones for their kids more for the parents' convenience rather than the kids.

Just my $0.02

·
Banned
663 Posts
Here's a hint: DISABLE TEXT MESSAGING FEATURES on her phone!!

That's what I did on mine. I called Sprint and had them disable the ability for my phone to accept incoming text messages. This way...I will NEVER get another text message from someone.

They want to talk to me...call me or send an email to my computer.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts